· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much everyone for taking out time to go through my thread and also for all your expert advise...!

I am very new to this hobby and 7 months before when i bought my first 80 gallon, my lfs gave me all those fishes and i believed him as i did not do any research that time(My bad). In this time all my fishes have grown to a decent level and off-course have grown beautifully... i also upgraded to 200 Gallons and did a lot of research about all the fishes i have...

I am fully aware that my tank is still overstocked but believe me i just love all my fishes and till date i have not lost a single fish, yes got lots of ups and downs but i managed to save my few ill fishes to health again :).

Now, i am attached to my fishes and vise-verse (They only eat when i feed them, when i am in front of their sight i can see and feel their happiness..) With a very heavy heart i returned my 2 Pacu's back to the lfs when i upgraded and i still miss them a lot. :(

I just don't want to return any of my fishes... So, is there any way that all these can grow together, also not in 300 gallons as I'll will upgrade to 300 gallon as and when it will be available. ???

I want to keep another tank but my parents and family do not understand and i am unable to convince them though i have enough space to accommodate three 300 gallon tanks in my home.. :( still i cant.

Maximum i can do is get a small 25 gallon tank and keep all my small African cichlids into them (1 blue dolphin, 2 electric yellow, 1 jewel and 1 electric blue) in my bedroom where no one can question me... Will that work??

And yes, I just love Oscars and Parrots...

Looking forward to hear from you all...

Thanks
    Bhupesh

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    The issue is that even with 300gallons, that will still be too many fish. They are no where mear full grown yet, of course there aren't any issues yet, but when they reach full size you're going to start having territory wars. You have 9 aggressive cichlids. They may not be acting that way yet, but when cichlids don't have enough room, they will kill each other. It's obviously your tank and you can do as you wish, but in honestly if it were me I'd rather rehome the fish I love and want to live long lives rather than than keep them together playing roulette until the day they kill each other over lack or room/in ability to set territory.
    Last edited by FreakyFishie; 11-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhupeshkhanna View Post
    Maximum i can do is get a small 25 gallon tank and keep all my small African cichlids into them (1 blue dolphin, 2 electric yellow, 1 jewel and 1 electric blue) in my bedroom where no one can question me... Will that work??
    That's 5 fish, each can grow to be 6" or more. Using that minimum 5x6"=30", a 25 gallon tank holds 20" of fish comfortably, 25" of fish would be overstocked and with small fish. Each of those cichlids needs THEIR OWN 20 gal tank minimum. I really feel that you have not done enough research on your fish or maybe do not understand tank stocking fully, but essentially no, you can not keep all those fish alive in a 25 gallon. If they're still really small, less than 3" you can do it TEMPORARILY, but it would be short lived. Your best bet is taking the fish back to the fish store and trading them in for credit towards aquarium supplies. You won't get back what you paid and I get you're attached, but I can promise you it's better than waking up one day and finding your favorite fish dead from a territory war.
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood

4 Not allowed!
    Saying you don't want to return any fish is IMO saying you are willing to keep those fish in an inappropriate environment due to your own feelings of attachment to them -
    If you were keeping a common goldfish (which can grow to over a foot) in a 10gal tank and decided you were too attached to give it away or put it in a pond, that's not very responsible to the fish - fish become stunted, ill, stressed, bullied - you really want to potentially do that to all your fish??
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Thumbs down

3 Not allowed!
    I am fully aware that my tank is still overstocked but believe me i just love all my fishes and till date i have not lost a single fish, yes got lots of ups and downs but i managed to save my few ill fishes to health again :).
    Survival is not adequate justification for grossly overstocking your tank with incompatible species. Many fish can survive in terrible conditions. That does not make it acceptable to keep them in a potentially harmful environment, as you are.

EDIT: I've just seen on another thread that one of your tinfoil barbs is sick with a bloated belly. And you don't have water test kits? This isn't a good sign.

Now, i am attached to my fishes and vise-verse (They only eat when i feed them, when i am in front of their sight i can see and feel their happiness..) With a very heavy heart i returned my 2 Pacu's back to the lfs when i upgraded and i still miss them a lot. :(
    Well done for returning the pacus - they should never even be in the pet trade.

Love is not adequate justification for grossly overstocking your tank with incompatible species.
    Anthropomorphism is a very dangerous habit when you are considering the health and welfare of your fish. Your attachment is to the detriment of your fishes' wellbeing. I don't believe for a minute that they won't eat for anyone except you - I think you need to stop kidding yourself. I also don't believe you can see and feel their happiness. This is a mask for what appears to be, I'm sorry to say, a denial of wilful neglect.

I just don't want to return any of my fishes... So, is there any way that all these can grow together, also not in 300 gallons as I'll will upgrade to 300 gallon as and when it will be available. ???
    No. There is no way - at all. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Moving towards a possible solution for you - can you answer my earlier question. What is the hardness and pH of your water?
    Last edited by ~firefly~; 11-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    :( :( - I understand, Please advise can Oscars and parrots grow together..? Is it Ok, if i return all my tinfoils and arrange a new tank for African cichlids...?? So can a total of 6 Parrots and 2 Oscars grow in my 200 gallons tank...??

At this moment my parrots are of bigger size than Oscars..!

My brother is coming to visit us from London in December and i have asked him to get an API water testing kit for me, as its easily available there but not in New Delhi..

Thanks
    Bhupesh

0 Not allowed!
    You might be able to do two oscars and four parrots. I wouldn't recommend it though. You'll likely see fighting.

What filtration do you have? You'll need a hell of a lot to cope with the waste produced by these fish.

Your local water authority should be able to tell you what your water hardness is from the tap.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, Please recommend If i remove Parrots, what other fish is compatible with Oscars those are as color-full and beautiful as parrots..?? As i want some colors in my tank..

At the moment i have 4 internal filters with sponge, bio-balls, and ceramics each with a capacity of 2000 L/H.... But i'll also add a canister filter soon..

Thanks
    Bhupesh

1 Not allowed!
    Oh dear, it just gets worse and worse. You have less than half the recommended filtration for a normally stocked tank of that size.

Your main issues are:
    1. You are severely overstocked and you ideally need to get rid of all but the two oscars (if you want to keep the oscars).
    2. You are using internal filters that are woefully inadequate for the high bioload you currently have. You have lots of large, messy fish. Things will just get worse as the fish mature. Oscars are large, bulky fish that produce huge amounts of waste (do not underestimate how much poo they produce). This will block your internal filters and pollute the water. Internal filters won't cut it. You'll need to get yourself a good sized sump for a tank that size, or at least two or three large external filters, in my opinion. Something like the Fluval FX5s or the biggest Eheim cannisters would do the job - although they're not cheap.
    3. You don't know what your water quality is from the tap.
    4. You don't know what your water quality is in the tank.
    5. You're still looking to add fish to the mix that you shouldn't have. Don't think about what else you can have until you have fixed the issue you currently have.

My advice to you would be to pick one species and do a good job with that, only. If you want oscars, just keep oscars - but you'll need to invest in upgrading your current filtration. If it were my tank I would rehome of all of those fish and start over once you have the right equipment and test kits.

Do you have internal glass heaters? If so, you'll have to protect them in some way as when your oscars are adult they will probably break them. Most people use external in-line heaters for oscar tanks, or have internal heaters that are caged.

How much water do you change per week?

1 Not allowed!
    firefly's advice is generally sound, but may not take fully into account where you live. due to your location, many products or brands that we in the western world take for granted may not be available to you or at a very high price. You may need to look at equivalents(for example with the eheim or fx5, they may not sell the brand or a filter of that capacity, so you may have to use several smaller local brand filters to meet filtration requirements). What is the usual temperature inside your house actually? There is a good chance that you will not require a heater if the temperature does not drop below around 22degres Celsius.