· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Shrimp Question

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

Default Shrimp Question

0 Not allowed!
    Would it be alright to drop 35 cherry shrimp into my 29 gallon community tank. I have 5 amano shrimp right now and I don't know if they would cause any problems with each other and if it was just too much for the tank in general.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    what other fish are in the tank???

do you have real plants in the tank??
    hiding places???

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Don't give up! - Rue   good poster - Lady Hobbs   something to chew on :) - Dave66   *kicks* - Drumachine09   Have a slice on me, thanks for the other forums! - Bill M.   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I have a planted 29 gallon tank. Actually it's the first tank up in TOTM contest.
    Also, I have a gouramis 5 rasboras and 8 cardinals and 5 albino corys.
    I don't think there will be any problem I was just seeing what you guys think.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

heres a gift for you!!! - squirt_12   Here's To Your Great Info & Being An Awesome New Member! - MeganL3985   Always good posts - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    the gourami will try to eat them, but as long as there is plenty of cover they should be alright. I dropped 10 into my 36g planted with gourami, cherry barbs, cardinals, and cories....they have survived and multiplied to the point where I pulled out about 30 of them and started an invert only tank. Good luck, I love little shrimp! You might also make sure that your filter intake is covered with something like foam or a nylon as baby shrimp get sucked into filters very easily (before I covered mine I pulled 10 shrimp out of my canister filter, alive but still).
    36g corner bow, heavily planted with java moss, windelov, java fern, anubias barieri, crypts, anacharis, and african fern. 2 honey gourami, 9 cardinals, 4 neons, 5 cherry barbs, 5 sterbai cory, 1 brochis splendens, unknown number red cherry shrimp
    16g bow, lightly planted with java moss, java fern. 4swordtail tetra, 1 male betta
    10g 4 pomacea bridgessi, a million cherry shrimp, java moss, windelov fern, anubia, java fern

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a gift as a thank you for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah*   Congrats on the new fry :) - *Sarah*   *kicks* :P - Drumachine09   Just because! - 2manyfish   Have a great Birthday! - CAF   
    Childhood Cancer - squirt_12   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - squirt_12   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - squirt_12   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by msjinkzd
    the gourami will try to eat them, but as long as there is plenty of cover they should be alright. I dropped 10 into my 36g planted with gourami, cherry barbs, cardinals, and cories....they have survived and multiplied to the point where I pulled out about 30 of them and started an invert only tank. Good luck, I love little shrimp! You might also make sure that your filter intake is covered with something like foam or a nylon as baby shrimp get sucked into filters very easily (before I covered mine I pulled 10 shrimp out of my canister filter, alive but still).
    agree 100%

Yes i would even cover the intake withthe actually big shrimp themselves cause i have had some amano shrimp sucked up there before and sadly they did not live :(.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My filter intake is really really fine, close, plastic as it is. I will think about it though. Thanks for all the help guys. Also, RCS don't need to be moved to Brackish water to lay there eggs and stuff like amanos do?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

heres a gift for you!!! - squirt_12   Here's To Your Great Info & Being An Awesome New Member! - MeganL3985   Always good posts - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    nope, they breed completely in fresh water. the babies are mini-versions of the adults and super cute!
    36g corner bow, heavily planted with java moss, windelov, java fern, anubias barieri, crypts, anacharis, and african fern. 2 honey gourami, 9 cardinals, 4 neons, 5 cherry barbs, 5 sterbai cory, 1 brochis splendens, unknown number red cherry shrimp
    16g bow, lightly planted with java moss, java fern. 4swordtail tetra, 1 male betta
    10g 4 pomacea bridgessi, a million cherry shrimp, java moss, windelov fern, anubia, java fern

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I may be in for a surprise then. That would be cool if my amanos and cherries cross bread. Maybe I will start up a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank haha.
    Also, am I going to have to feed or supplement these guys with anything?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    they are different species, they can't cross breed...if you have lots of plants they will graze on them, and eat left over fish food. I don't target feed them in my community tank but in my invert tank I feed them lobster bites (an invert granule) or a tiny piece of an algae wafer. Hope this helps :)