· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default DIY Yeast Pump - Mixture Replacement

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All!

I built a Yeast pump on Saturday. Pretty Bubbles! Very proud of myself! Today is Tuesday and... No more bubbles...

1. Am I seriously going to have to replace the yeast every 3 days or
    2. am I using the wrong yeast or
    3. is there a 2meter long list of other things I did wrong???

(Please say 2...)

I used Instant yeast.
    Recipe: 1 packet yeast & 1 cup sugar per 2L water.
    3 x 2L bottles with 1 x 500ml overflow bottle connected to air-stone.

Help would be MUCH appreciated!

0 Not allowed!
    Are you doing this for plants in the aquarium?
    My DIY yeast mixture usually looks like this:
    - 2 cups sugar
    - 3 cups water
    - 1 quarter of a teaspoon of yeast.
    The result is 1-3 bubbles per second for a few weeks.
    Too much yeast will result in a torrent of bubbles that will die down very quickly.

If you are going for the effect of bubbles in a tank and not so much their benefit for plants, I would recommend getting an air pump and an air stone if possible. As you can see, putting lots of yeast in to make lots of bubbles will be highly short lived and thus uneconomical. The bubbles also aren't air, but carbon dioxide and bubbling a large quantity of carbon dioxide into your tank can cause large pH shifts harming your fish.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much!

I'm doing it for the plants. I disconnected the air pump for the time being.
    I'll try your yeast mixture tomorrow morning. What you say makes sense. There was quite a strong stream of bubbles.

I am monitoring pH and I have been disconnection the yeast pump at night.
    I have pretty hard water (KH 10; GH 16) with a high pH (7.6).

0 Not allowed!
    When I used DIY CO2, I hooked up two bottles in tandem and alternated refilling them about every two weeks. I was able to keep a more consistent stream of bubbles that way.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are there any arguments for the amount of bottles to be connected per tank size? My tank is about 450l.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't bother with DIY co2 for a tank that large. The max size tank I would put one on would be a 29 gallon, about 120L. Anything larger than that you really need a pressurized system to be of any use.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Aaaah man... I am seriously on the verge of shooting the amazon idea in the foot and going for a mbuna tank...

Ok, I guess I'll go shopping and see if I can find anything.

Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    I have a vey well planted 65 gal that is running very well on 3 2l bottles, each filled approximately to half. It works because most of my plants are pretty hardy and would survive and grow without supplementation anyways. Keep in mind that it isn't an all or nothing situation. Granted, the is an ideal co2 concentration, but even the slightest increase in co2 levels will result in marginally better plant growth. However, I do agree with kingfisher that your tank really might be so big that DIY co2 would be uneconomical if you were to try to aim for 15-30 ppm co2.

0 Not allowed!
    You don't need CO2 for good plants. I've never used it. However on a 450l you just might as well invest in a good regulator and a fire extinguisher.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/f...isher-co2.266/

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @ talldutchie: I am busy building a fiberglass 3D aquarium background when I get a chance over weekends, and my hubby thinks I am crazy to do it. When I drag a fire extinguisher into the house he will think I totally lost it!!! Hahahahaha! Sounds like a brilliant idea!

@ madagascariensis: I am kicking the yeast idea and rather doing a bit more research on the type of plants, ways to soften water and lower pH effectively, and even going a different direction altogether! But the info is soooo much!!! As soon as I think I know anything, I am bombarded with a million things I do not know and I feel like a child all over again!

Thanks to all for all the advice!!!