· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Green hair algae infesting sponge filter - any suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    Is there anything I can do to kill the algae, or do I have to replace the sponge? Now, this sponge is 3 years old and it has a LOT of beneficial bacteria on it. I'd hate to have to throw it out. Plus, my baby mylasian trumpet snails have made it a great place to find food. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can possibly kill the algae without killing the beneficial bacteria?

On another note, the GHA has infected all of my plants in the 10g - java and wendelov ferns, rotala rotundifolia, moneywort, hornwort, and myrio green. Due to the GHA, many plants have already died - purple cabomba, melon sword, aponogeton hybrid, bacopa caroliniana, and water sprite. These plants were in my 10g for almost a year and then a random GHA outbreak occurred. I'm still clueless as to what caused it, but I'd like to get rid of it. I fear that my other plants will die shortly. The GHA already took out 80% of my rotala in a few months. I've shortened my photoperiod to a few hours a day and I have a black background on the tank so that no light can get in from the window. Does anyone know how to permanently get rid of this annoying algae?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, since no one responded yet, I'll give it a go.

Seems like your plants are not healthy and that is why algae is taking over. It takes a balance of lights, ferts, co2, water perimiters to suceed in an algae free tank. lol, no tank can be algae free but we can keep it under control.

First let me ask you, what kind of lighting do you have and when if flourescent, did you change the bulbs?

1 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't get rid of the filter - how do you clean it and how often?

If need be, you could always introduce a new sponge filter and let it cycle (let it sit in the tank for several weeks) while the old one is still in the tank, then just get rid of the original one.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errol View Post
    Hi, since no one responded yet, I'll give it a go.

Seems like your plants are not healthy and that is why algae is taking over. It takes a balance of lights, ferts, co2, water perimiters to suceed in an algae free tank. lol, no tank can be algae free but we can keep it under control.

First let me ask you, what kind of lighting do you have and when if flourescent, did you change the bulbs?
    The plants were all healthy. It was the GHA that randomly took over. I never changed anything and the lights are 9 or 13w CFLs. I honestly forget. The bulbs go out every few months, so I end up changing them frequently. Lights haven't been lasting long for me recently. Everything used to be really nice. Now ... eh. It was strange how the plants were constantly growing and then they die in a time span of two months.

Sorry for the crappy photo. There's a lot of what I believe is green spot algae on the front and right side. But, this is how my tank used to be.

This is it now.

Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    I wouldn't get rid of the filter - how do you clean it and how often?

If need be, you could always introduce a new sponge filter and let it cycle (let it sit in the tank for several weeks) while the old one is still in the tank, then just get rid of the original one.
    I clean it about once every few months by doing a gravel vac and then "washing" the sponge off in the dirty water. I've been doing this for 3 years and it's always been fine.

I would have to buy a second air pump if I was to get a new sponge filter. Is there any way that I could just cycle a new sponge in the tank? I also have a 76g with 5 goldfish in it. Can I try to cycle it in there? xD

EDIT: Also, I'm afraid to cut any of my plants to get the dead leaves off. I tried it once with an amazon sword and it died ... I'm terrified now. lol
    Last edited by Kiara1125; 11-14-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Add more plants into the tank and clean the filter more often in tank the dirty tank water. How often do you gravel vac and change water? You should be changing water and cleaning the gravel once a week, this will take excess nutrients out of the water and the algae will grow less.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Add more plants into the tank and clean the filter more often in tank the dirty tank water. How often do you gravel vac and change water? You should be changing water and cleaning the gravel once a week, this will take excess nutrients out of the water and the algae will grow less.
    I always gravel vac once a week. I've never had a problem before. Could a shift in temperature cause an algae outbreak? The tank was almost 90F in the summer this year ... Also, I can't really add anymore plants, because the algae takes over them before they can out compete the algae. I've already tried. I wasted $15 on many different types of plants.
    Goldfish Lover

Machete - ♀ 3 year old orange fantail
    Tanchi - ♀ 2 year old red/white ryukin [white is currently taking over the red]
    Denali - ♂ 2 year old black moor [pitch black]
    Ricochet - ♂ 1 year old calico lionhead
    Legacy - ♀[?] <1 year old calico fantail

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I see that you maintain your tank very well. You had a balance that worked for you until recently. Mostly when that balance is interrupted for some time that algae will take over.

From your post, you said that temps were 90 degrees. With the cfl's in that enclosed hood, temps were higher than 90 f. Plus you said the cfl bulbs have not lasted long recently. Cfl's don't last long in heat. I assume the same bulbs were used.

From that, I assume that was what affected your balance,,,heat.

You reducing your photoperiod will not help, your plants will suffer. I live in Hawaii, so my photoperiod starts at 3pm till 12am to reduce heat, plus my tank is open top, nothing to trap heat.

mommy1 made a good point, buy some cheap fast growing stem plants, like watersprites etc to help fight the algae. Keep the photperiod at 8 hrs. Try to remove the algae manually the best you can. In time you can find your balance again and the algae will retreat. But it's not overnight. Patience,,,

In summary, I can only guess that heat influenced your balance. Was there anything else that could have affected it?
    Last edited by Errol; 11-14-2013 at 06:25 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, will do. I need to find more water sprite again. My previous one was 18" long and in that tank. lol It worked though! That was the only plant I ever cut.

I never would've suspected that the heat would be a problem for the lights. Thank you! I don't believe it could've been anything else now that I think of it. I'll see what my lfs has.

Will more hornwort work as well for the fast growing plant?
    Goldfish Lover

Machete - ♀ 3 year old orange fantail
    Tanchi - ♀ 2 year old red/white ryukin [white is currently taking over the red]
    Denali - ♂ 2 year old black moor [pitch black]
    Ricochet - ♂ 1 year old calico lionhead
    Legacy - ♀[?] <1 year old calico fantail

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, hornworts are fast growers too. Personally I have only Watersprite and Hygrophilia Polysperma in the fast growing scene. Watersprites just have the broad leaves which I never see detach and decay in my tank,,, they just grow and I never seen them decay or lose leaves, good at getting your water perimeters back in line.

gl, and I said in my pm do frequent water changes, trying to reduce the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels in tank due to decreased bio activity (assumed) from the heat. Test kits will confirm this or not.

I would say that at this stage your nitrate levels are high, being cooler now, ammonia level should be low. Consistant water changes will decrease the high levels of nitrate. Get a freshwater master test kit like http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater...aster+test+kit I don't use mine often anymore, but if an issue with my tank arises, then I can see what is going on.

0 Not allowed!
    In addition to what the others have said, dosing Florish Excel can help get rid of algae.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1