· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What do you say? Blue Tang advice

0 Not allowed!
    I'm well aware that my tank is way to small to keep a Blue Tang PERMANENTLY.

What I've seen people is get a fish, then when he starts to outgrow the tank, trade him at the LFS for another one that is young.

I'm friends with the guy at my LFS, and was thinking of bouncing the idea off him of "fostering" a blue tang till it outgrew my tank then trade him in for another baby/small tang. and then keep up the changing etc.

I'm looking for thread advice if I should even pitch this. I'm pretty sure he'd be down to do it since we're pretty good friends. I'd buy his young tangs, raise them till they got to big, and then switch it out for another smaller tang. So that way I wouldn't stunt the fish etc

0 Not allowed!
    When you say blue tang, I am assuming you are talking about a hippo tang also commonly called a regal tang (Paracanthurus hepatus). I have also seen many people what you are suggesting as well. Within the first two years of having my hippo tang, he grew from about 1 inch to 6 inches. The third year he only grew about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch. As each tang seams to grow at slightly different rates, it might be difficult to tell when the best time to rehome him would be. The hippo tang will need a least a few hiding spots (caves in the rock) that he could swim into or he will most likely get stressed increasing the chance of him getting sick. These caves in the rocks will need to also accommodate him as he grows and increases in size. This might be a challenge for you to create in a smaller tank.

There also is a risk of no one wanting the tang when he gets back to the store and spending a long time in one of their display tanks which could also contribute to stunting. In some stores it almost seams that bigger fish are harder to sell. That would be something I would talk to your LFS about

I personally would not do it. Many things could change at your LFS in the next year or two. If you chose to get him, just make sure to do a lot of research so you will know the behavioral signs to look for that he needs to go the another bigger tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]