· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, really appreciate all the help. Current plan is rams, geo suri's, congos, and a severum.

One more issue that may ruin this whole idea. Got my test kit in the mail today and tested the tap water. It's showing 8.4 pH, 4dKH, and 89 ppm GH/KH. Obviously, that PH is going to have to come down a looong way; I was planning on adding some peat moss pellets to the filtration system and using some PH down solution to bring it to the desired level (around 6.5). Will that be enough, and will the water be stable after that much interference? I'm considering using a product like API Proper PH 6.5, but have no experience with products like these.

Also having trouble understanding the hardness test results. AqAdvisor.com recommends a dH of 5-12 for these fish, is that the same as dKH?

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA 
    Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by b_d View Post
    Also having trouble understanding the hardness test results. AqAdvisor.com recommends a dH of 5-12 for these fish, is that the same as dKH?
    Th dGH (general hardness, mineral content of the water) and dKH (carbonate hardness, calcium carbonate content) are 2 different things. The dGH is what you use when choosing fish for your tank. The dKH tells you how strongly your pH is buffered (stable) - the lower the number, the less buffered (stable) it is. With a high dKH, the pH you have is pretty much what you have to use to stock you tank. Your dKH and pH values are closely linked. Because the dKH affects the pH, it is also important to know when choosing fish.

For my 75 gal, I use 100% RO/DI water and adjust my hardness in the middle of the recommended levels (5-15) - for me it's 10 dGH. Proper dGH is very important to the health of your fish.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 11-13-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Makes sense, I may have to go that route. Is the RO/DI water neutral, or does it maintain its ph? And what do you use to adjust hardness?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    RO/DI is neutral, with a GH and KH of zero. It will impact both hardness and pH, and using 0 dGH water is really the only way to lower hardness. 4 dKH is not all that high to begin with, so any additives you use (other than RO/DI water) to adjust pH could cause a severe swing in pH.

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA 
    Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by b_d View Post
    Makes sense, I may have to go that route. Is the RO/DI water neutral, or does it maintain its ph? And what do you use to adjust hardness?
    If using RO/DI water, you have to buffer your pH to make it stable (as stated it's neutral at 6.5, but not buffered (unstable)) and also adjust your dGH.

I use 100% RO/DI water. To buffer the pH I use Seachem Acid Buffer and Seachem Alkaline Buffer. To adjust the hardness I use Seachem Replenish. The advantage of RO/DI water is that you can adjust the water to exactly what you need for your fish.

This is the RO/DI unit I recommend - http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/RO-D...D-RO-DI-System

I have the same unit, but rated for 90 GPD. I adjust the water temp from the faucet to 77 deg (my tank temp) and at 70 psi it takes me about 6 hrs to make 35 gal. I'm going to get the extra 90 GPD RO membrane to add to my unit to convert it to 180 GPD, which cuts the time to make my water in half.

No matter what brand you look at, there are specific units to use for aquariums - not all RO or RO/DI units are okay to use for making aquarium water. The less expensive units are generally not able to make water for aquarium use.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 11-14-2013 at 06:00 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"