· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help! My filter quit working!

0 Not allowed!
    I could say I'm a new aquarium enthusiast. I starting keeping a 10 gallon aquarium in the spring. Right now I have 2 kissing fish, 3 platies and 3 dalmatian mollies. My filter quit about a week ago and won't be able to get another for a few more days. I have an aerator creating bubbles in the tank and I'm doing 25 to 50% water changes every other day. I had a couple of fish to die, however. I also put in mantenance for water chemistry and PH balance every time. Seems to be working as I keep checking the ammonia level which stays a "safe". Will my fish be okay until I get another filter?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have any substrate in the tank ??

0 Not allowed!
    What filter do you have and what exactly happened with it? Often when filters quit it is due to debris preventing the impeller from spinning and can be easily fixed by cleaning them. I will wait until we get the filter issue resolved before I address your stocking.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have gravel...no live plants....snails that I "pick out" daily. Started with 2 snails....BIG mistake!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a filter that hangs on back of tank. I've cleaned it. Water used to filter thru without the barrel turning, but now no water is filtering whatsoever.

0 Not allowed!
    What is the make and model of your filter?

If you do not know, please post a picture
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisynwv View Post
    I could say I'm a new aquarium enthusiast. I starting keeping a 10 gallon aquarium in the spring. Right now I have 2 kissing fish, 3 platies and 3 dalmatian mollies. My filter quit about a week ago and won't be able to get another for a few more days. I have an aerator creating bubbles in the tank and I'm doing 25 to 50% water changes every other day. I had a couple of fish to die, however. I also put in mantenance for water chemistry and PH balance every time. Seems to be working as I keep checking the ammonia level which stays a "safe". Will my fish be okay until I get another filter?
    What exactly are you adding? Don't mess with your pH - what do you mean by maintenance for water chemistry - do you mean dechlorinator when you change your water or something else?

A "safe" ammonia level while cycling with fish in the tank is .25ppm - is that what you have?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using Tetra EasyBalance. It says maintains water chemistry & PH for all freshwater aquariums and to use weekly. Then I'm testing with an ammoniia test strip kit and it goes between the .25 and .5. Which .5 says stress, but it's mostly .25 when I check it. I feel like I have the water under control. How much longer do you think I can wait until I get another filter? Like I said, I'm getting one later this week.

0 Not allowed!
    If you didn't save your filter media and keep it wet, you will need to cycle the tank with the new filter all over again. You will need to do at least a 50% waterchange daily until you add the new filter, then use your ammonia tests to determine how much and how often you need to change the water after that. If you still have the old filter, I suggest you try taking the impeller out and thoroughly cleaning it. The filter may work fine after that.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above advice - as long as this isn't a long term situation, doing daily water changes and testing for ammonia to make sure it doesn't get above .25 will work until you get your filter - at that point, just testing your water will be needed and water changes if the ammonia goes above .25, until it drops to 0 and your parameters show a cycled tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies