· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above - there are some people who have such small tanks that they end up using a medicine dropper and they count the # of drops they put in - some use a 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon at a time.

Glad you found it - you will get your cycled tank with patience.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    I am going to address these in reverse order so the easy important bits get done first....

Last question first (Ammonia)... you might find it at a grocery in the cleaning aisle, but its more likely you will find pure ammonia at a hardware store. In either case read the labels to ensure it doesn't have other scents or additives.

As for your bacteria in bottles question.. yes there are many kinds of bacteria that convert ammonia and nitrites. Some thrive in differing environments. See also Septic systems for another common-ish used type.

And now for the last bit... and I'm failing at finding any other way than just being direct. When angry, frustrated and fixated you read in a negative/antagonistic tone. Take a moment to get out of angry mode. No one called you stupid but yourself. There was nothing there even remotely implying a lack of intelligence, only a lack of information.
    seriously dude... all I have done was try to explain, I apologized for the misunderstanding between me and mommy1 and it was done. I never implied anyone called anyone stupid so what you are saying is pretty invalid. I really don't see the need for this post, at all

back on topic
    I spoke too soon, the worker on the phone said it is pure ammonia, nothing else, but it isnt, it has surfacants and it is foamy, I have been searching all over and no one has unscented ammonia, or pure ammonia. We dont have an ace hardware in town,
    what are other options
    articles regarding using fish food are very bland, I can't get any real info out of them
    does anyone have a good link that can help me basically regarding general amounts, I added a teaspoon of food last night and only got to .25 ammonia today

or a link on cycling with shrimp would be good

any info helps.
    Last edited by Ras; 11-10-2013 at 10:54 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Ras, check your inbox.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
    Ras, check your inbox.
    or just remove this thread, or this account who cares. I now see how one sided this place can be.

0 Not allowed!
    OK goodbye then...

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1