· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    So they gave you seeded filter media from their tanks?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just told you what they gave me, now it seems like you are being condescending . and I understand what happened shouldnt of, but the point was I was told the tank is done cycling and it was fine to add fish when it wasn't. The only reason i got the bottled bacteria was to try and fix the problem I had just found out about. I explained it in the previous post . it seems like people are implying i took shortcuts.

the entire reason I got the fish was because I got told the tank was established and cycled, the whole reason I got the bottled bacteria was because I found out it wasn't and was told that it could be cycled in a short amount of time which would be safer for the fish I already had because of the ammonia from it not being cycled . I wasn't trying to go crazy with stocking or any of this stuff you are saying, I had one single gold ram and a few tetras.

0 Not allowed!
    Ras, please try to not take offense to what was posted. The advice was given in a effort to help you, nothing more

We all make mistakes (me included) but we all learn from them as you have already stated
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I am not being condescending, I am trying to understand what you are talking about. There is no need to get your feathers ruffled. I don't understand if they gave you seeded sponges from their tanks or added bacteria from a bottle (that they somehow manufactured themselves) to sponges and gave that to you. That is all. Good luck to you and your fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it was in a bottle, I am sorry if I got offended, I just have said it now a few times, it is bottled bacteria, it is in the thread name. To me it seemed like when you said stop looking for bottled bacteria and wait it was some sort of shot. but like I said, I did wait, and I got the tank tested where I was told it is cycled. this is why there are fish in it. this tank has been up for months, I recently found out after taking apart the filter that there was no bio media, so I went bought some bio sponges and my OWN tests and that is when I realized the tank was never cycled. I called, a store that specializes in fish rather than petco this time and I ask what I can do, he tells me if there is a gold ram in the tank now and it is not cycled then I need to add bacteria to speed it up because the ram will not tolerate the ammonia at all. said the best thing I can do is "add bacteria, since your tank is already in the process of cycling it will seed within a few minutes to a day, the entire process shouldnt tanke more than 5days to see 0 ammonia in the water, we make this ourself and is totally safe to use with fish already in the tank" I ask if I can go to petco and find the same stuff since it is closer and I didnt want the fish in the uncycled tank anylonger than it had to be, he said it should be fine. I ask the ppl at petco "ARE YOU SURE THIS IS SAFE, THIS WILL CYCLE THE TANK WITHIN DAYS?" he assured me it would, the minute i put it in the tank, my fish started pacing against the glass and turned bright red on its fins and sides, i knew it was bad.

anyways, I have said all this already.
    point being It seemed
    So they gave you seeded filter media from their tanks?
    was you trying to push the point that it wouldn't work, or something Idk. Misunderstanding and I'm sorry for the comments.. long day.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok I took pictures
    this is the stuff I got from petco that almost killed my fish S6304683.jpg

S6304682.jpgand this is the stuff that I got from reefconnections, that i was told works within 1-7 days, it does look like there is some sort of media in there, maybe shredded napkin? idk
    the other stuff from the black bottle is just pure clear, looks and smells like conditioned water

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, now I get what's going on. I understand the confusion of the other poster as it took me a minute to understand about the tests/bottle from store/stuff from real fish place.

So, the stuff in the "bottle" from petco (and other stores) is questionable on cycling. That's what they were talking about. You'll see these forums peppered with people's opinions on bottled bacteria, and for the most part, from experiences of others, it doesn't really work too well, if at all.

What you have from Reef Connections I've seen before at some other high end fish stores. Basically, its a seeded piece of established filter media and "squeezings" from established filters. In effect, real live nitrobacter and other good bacteria fresh from the farm, so to speak. This stuff, unlike the bottled stuff at petco and such, WILL work. It won't work in a day, but about a week is the norm. As long as its being fed ammonia, the colonies will start blooming.

My first "fish mistake" was having water tested at Petco with the "everything is fine" scenario. Their test strips do NOT test ammonia, and the strips falsely read nitrates. You aren't alone in thinking your tank is fine and its not. Chances are the bottled bacteria from petco alone didn't cause the problem, but the concentration of ammonia in the tank and the "pollutant" of the bottled stuff together was just too much for your fish to handle.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

1 Not allowed!
    The only way you will know your tank is cycled is if you take readings of your water parameters and they read as follows: 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and 20ppm or less nitrates - you can not put cycling on a timetable and let someone tell you it will only take this # of days because every tank is different - they all take different amounts of time to go through the process - adding something they recommend won't magically do this for you - it's your readings that tell you you are finished (which is why its so important to have your own test kit so you can monitor it yourself). Adding fish flakes means you have to wait until it rots and produces ammonia - that can take time. It's much more efficient to get pure ammonia and follow instructions to do a fishless cycle - this way, you can get a high ammonia reading right away and then wait for the level to drop.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Do YOU have a water test kit?

I only ask because I am reading that you are having various stores test, but not seeing results from you.

If you do not, I strongly encourage you to get one. It needs to be able to test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. One of the more popular recommendations is the API master kit which would run you about $20 (bit more or less depending on shop and your location)

This would help you id water issues/cycling status/etc without relying on someone that may not be as well informed, or partially motivated by sales.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    Do YOU have a water test kit?

I only ask because I am reading that you are having various stores test, but not seeing results from you.

If you do not, I strongly encourage you to get one. It needs to be able to test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. One of the more popular recommendations is the API master kit which would run you about $20 (bit more or less depending on shop and your location)

This would help you id water issues/cycling status/etc without relying on someone that may not be as well informed, or partially motivated by sales.
    yes I do have tests, now
    I didnt when I went to petco, thats why I needed them to test for me
    I picked an ammonia and nitrate test kit up a few days ago (5 or so days ago) that is when I realized my tank never was cycled, I was just told bad information and stupid me expecting someone in the fish department to know about fish...my mistake..

anyways yea I didnt have my own test to begin with because I didnt know about liquid tests at the time, I was buying strips , 5$ or so for about 4 strips, they ran out very fast so I started to just take water in when I needed a test

and I understand what you are saying about people being motivated by saes, but yesterday the guy at reef connection literally saved my fishs life, and hes babysitting myfish while I fix my tank, not going to sell them or , I dont have to buy them back or nothing,
    after I told them what happened with the petco bacteria and the bad info etc he gave me a free bottle of his bacteria

to me It seems like this store or maybe just this one worker is actually motivated by the hobby rather than the money, cuz I didn't purchase a single thing from him during this whole situation and he just has been helping me the whole time... still very surprised that he just gave me the bottle for free

Quote Originally Posted by Tiari View Post
    Okay, now I get what's going on. I understand the confusion of the other poster as it took me a minute to understand about the tests/bottle from store/stuff from real fish place.

So, the stuff in the "bottle" from petco (and other stores) is questionable on cycling. That's what they were talking about. You'll see these forums peppered with people's opinions on bottled bacteria, and for the most part, from experiences of others, it doesn't really work too well, if at all.

What you have from Reef Connections I've seen before at some other high end fish stores. Basically, its a seeded piece of established filter media and "squeezings" from established filters. In effect, real live nitrobacter and other good bacteria fresh from the farm, so to speak. This stuff, unlike the bottled stuff at petco and such, WILL work. It won't work in a day, but about a week is the norm. As long as its being fed ammonia, the colonies will start blooming.

My first "fish mistake" was having water tested at Petco with the "everything is fine" scenario. Their test strips do NOT test ammonia, and the strips falsely read nitrates. You aren't alone in thinking your tank is fine and its not. Chances are the bottled bacteria from petco alone didn't cause the problem, but the concentration of ammonia in the tank and the "pollutant" of the bottled stuff together was just too much for your fish to handle.
    that post just made me feel a lot less guilty .. thank you,

just to be clear i really didnt mean for any of this to happen. . i tried to do it the right way and wait for thecycle and I waited like 2 months.. probably was the filters I have didnt have the bio media inside them and I didnt realize it, I thought maybe the bio media was inside the pad or something but I wasnt sure, so I went and bought tests that day I realized the bio sponges were missing, and thats how I found out about my terrible mistake

another thing, I did more reading and I guess there is debate on if the bacteria that is being sold in bottles is the same bacteria that grows in peoples aquariums, I guess the bottled bacteria also eats nitrites and ammonia but the thing is they die after a while, but from what it sounds like it seems by the time the "fake" bacteria dies the "real" bacteria has colonized

does that make any sense? and is there any truth to it?

Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    The only way you will know your tank is cycled is if you take readings of your water parameters and they read as follows: 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and 20ppm or less nitrates - you can not put cycling on a timetable and let someone tell you it will only take this # of days because every tank is different - they all take different amounts of time to go through the process - adding something they recommend won't magically do this for you - it's your readings that tell you you are finished (which is why its so important to have your own test kit so you can monitor it yourself). Adding fish flakes means you have to wait until it rots and produces ammonia - that can take time. It's much more efficient to get pure ammonia and follow instructions to do a fishless cycle - this way, you can get a high ammonia reading right away and then wait for the level to drop.
    where do I find this pure ammonia? and I was told it only takes a day or two for flakes to start leeching ammonia, is that wrong? cuz i dont mind waiting the day, and actually I added the flakes yesterday so I should probably check now to see if its working