· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tipping filter basket

0 Not allowed!
    I have two AC110s on my 65-gallon tank. The media basket always stays down in one of them, until I remove it for cleaning. In the other filter, it stays down temporarily, then one end of that basket always eventually tips upward, causing the lid to rest diagonally on top of the housing. When this happens, some of the ceramic beads in the topmost mesh bag protrude above the water line in the filter box. I know the overall environment in there stays moist, but water no longer flows over those top beads. No matter how firmly I initially lock this basket into place, that same end always comes up, sooner or later, causing this basket to sit katty-corner.

Is this harmless, or does it jeopardize my beneficial bacteria? Can it still survive even with those beads out of the water, as long as the lid doesn't completely come off and the beads don't dry out?

Am I going to need to tie that basket down every time I clean the filters?

Your thoughts, please ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2 Not allowed!
    If it's just a few of the biomax beads exposed, I wouldn't worry about it. You might try a new sponge in the AC110. The problem I'm seeing with aquaclear filters is that the porosity of the bottom sponge varies. You may have a sponge that's not quite coarse enough. Just a thought.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I eventually just got rid of the basket altogether in my AC30, I just use the sponge on the bottom and 2 bags of biomedia...I use a coat hanger to pry the bottom sponge out when it's time for a filter cleaning
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Taurus.

I'll try replacing that sponge. It's probably about time I changed it, anyway. It still springs back when squeezed, but aside from initially removing the carbon, I haven't replaced any of that media since I got the tank, two years ago.

I just happen to have a new sponge on hand, so will put it in there with the next water change.

And if that doesn't help, I may take Slapphppy's advice and dispense with that basket, altogether. My only question on that is, would the water still be able to flow freely and unimpeded through the media without the basket in there?
    Last edited by mermaidwannabe; 11-08-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2 Not allowed!
    I've never run an AC filter without the basket. I've never had the rising basket problem, but I know someone who has and the problem was solved by replacing the current sponge with a new one that appeared to be a bit more porous.

If the sponge is 2 years old, it might be time to replace it.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

1 Not allowed!
    I took the basket out of my ac70 so I would have more room for media, it's just a little harder to remove when you want to rinse the media off but other than that no issues

1 Not allowed!
    Good to know Judi.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, folks.

I'll replace the sponge and see if that solves the issue. It may be all that's necessary.

I'll keep Plan B in mind if that doesn't do the trick.

Testing the water for awhile afterwards should tell me if any problems arise.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe View Post
    Thank you, Taurus.

I'll try replacing that sponge. It's probably about time I changed it, anyway. It still springs back when squeezed, but aside from initially removing the carbon, I haven't replaced any of that media since I got the tank, two years ago.

I just happen to have a new sponge on hand, so will put it in there with the next water change.
    Taurus is spot on right. I had the same problem only the entire basket raised up out of the filter and I had to use a huge rubber band to keep the lid on. So I got a more porous sponge and now I never have that problem. Drove me crazy for a while until I figured it out. I'd only do one filter at a time though, give the new sponge in one AC time to get colonized with some BB - a month or so - then do the other one. You may experience a bacterial bloom but it will go away.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Makes perfect sense.

I'll have to go to my LFS, though. I thought I had a new sponge on hand, but when I checked, I found I only have two extra Biomax bags on standby in cellophane. Will get more supplies on Monday.

Fortunately, I have thinned out my stock, added more plants and have been minimizing feeding, both in frequency and amount. Plus, I'm overfiltered to begin with, so hopefully there won't be any adverse consequences. I do know to do only one filter at a time.

Thanks for all your help, folks.

-- mermaid