· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Biomax Question

Default Biomax Question

0 Not allowed!
    So a friend of mine made a mistake....

He bought a new 55 and thought for some reason that water and driftwood carried BB and added 19 cichlids to the tank immediately

So i get a call last night with him freaking out because his ammonia is sky high and I think I can help him, but just don't want to hurt my tank in the process

I have 2 AC 110's on my 75, each with a sponge and 3 bags of their bio-max ceramic balls. So to my question, if I give him 2 of my 6 bags, is that going to cause issues with my cycle, or will the tank take it in stride? I am having him buy a new box, and giving me the new stuff and I'll give him two of my bags

2 Not allowed!
    If you have lots of plants in there and it is not overstocked, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be prepared to test and do a few extra waterchanges just in case.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    yep. Lots of stem plants and do WC every week as is. I'm not too worried, just trying to help the guy out.

Pretty much he is asking me as much as he can, he was a SW guy before and just coming over to FW. He is trying to trade a 120g reef ready tank for a two 75g still

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    In a well maintained tank the bio-filter will only hold as much bacteria as the bio-load will support. The bio-load and bio-filter will always balance out and any time you take 1/3 of the filter away it is going to put a stress on that balance. As Kingfisher said, plants and extra water changes will help and there is a small amount (compared to what is in the filter) of bacteria growing on the hard surfaces in the tank add that to you being a capable keeper of fish, and I am sure it will all work out fine.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with KingFisher, your filters should be fine but you will want to test daily for a week just to make sure.
    Are your friends arms tired from doing major water changes yet?
    Even a saltwater tank needs to cycle with or without live rock. Live and learn.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    I agree with KingFisher, your filters should be fine but you will want to test daily for a week just to make sure.
    Are your friends arms tired from doing major water changes yet?
    Even a saltwater tank needs to cycle with or without live rock. Live and learn.
    Oh he is now well aware that he will be cycling with fish, I am just trying to speed up the process by seeding his filters for him. I had to explain the following to him last night:

1. Double filtration for a tank
    2. Having more than 1 filter so that you can offset cleanings
    3. Not throwing away filter pads / filter media

At this point we are trying to get him on the right track, and he is more than willing to take advice, which is better than the ppl that say "well the fish store told me this so you must be wrong"

0 Not allowed!
    I would use a good bacterial supplement here as well as the "dirty" filters.

To your original question on the effect on your tank, it will be zero as you have plants and not overstocked.

Byron.