· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PH problem

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by arathemis View Post
    I put 2-4 flakes (fish food) per day in the tank.
    There are also some dead leaves from my plants (one of than seems to have troubles accommodating to my tank, so there are plenty of those).

I`m not adding Ammonia solution if that`s what you`re asking. I`m doing it the natural way :)
    Good, this is fine. I would add a few fish. Some are better than others in newer tanks--and I am not meaning their hardiness to cycling, but some fish do settle in an established tank better than a newer one. If you can indicate the fish you are intending, I should be able to suggest which can go in first.

Byron.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I`m thinking:

12 Silvertip tetra
    12 Neon tetra
    2-3 Ramirez (these will go last, definitelly)
    2 Ancistrus.

Which one do you think can go in first?
    I want to mention thst my aquarium is 10 days old.

And I seem to have another issue: I just notices there are some worm type animals on my aqyarium window. They are not that many, just here and there. Biggest is 3-4 mm. They look like this:

What can I do to get rid of them before I get the fish in?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    It is best to go most peaceful to most aggressive. I would do the neons first, then the silver tips. Then the ancistrus so they can find their hidey holes before the rams claim their territory. Others may go a different route, but that is how I would stock the tank.

The worms are planaria, they are harmless and as long as you don't over feed the tank they won't be a problem. Once you get fish in the tank they will eat the planaria. Look at them as free food.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will the neons eat the worms?

Aren`t the worms parasites?

0 Not allowed!
    The aquarium is only 100 liters or 26 gallons, so be careful. On the rams (Mikrogheophagus ramirezi), I would only suggest a pair, and make sure they are a bonded pair. There is not sufficient room for more with their territories.

I would put the Silvertip in before the neons, simply because neons these days are rather sensitive fish. I would probably reduce the Silvertiop number though, again keeping in mind the tank space; 8-9 would be better. Neons are fine at 11-12.

Ancistrus are territorial if males, so either one male or a pair.

And I agree on the planaria, harmless. This is due to the food being added now, and they will (should) disappear after fish go in.
    Byron.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Byron.

So the order is Silvertip, Neons, Ancistrus, 2 bonded Ramirez,right?
    Or can the ancistrus go in with the silvertips?

Can the first ones go in after 11-12 days from the aquarium start?

When should I introduce the second, third and fourth types of fish?
    Last edited by arathemis; 11-08-2013 at 05:31 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by arathemis View Post
    Thank you, Byron.

So the order is Silvertip, Neons, Ancistrus, 2 bonded Ramirez,right?
    Or can the ancistrus go in with the silvertips?

Can the first ones go in after 11-12 days from the aquarium start?

When should I introduce the second, third and fourth types of fish?
    Ancistrus species, presumably a Bristlenose which is an algae eater so I would wait until there is algae in the tank before adding this fish. They will usually adjust to prepared foods (veggie disks) but it is best if algae is initially present, and this usually means an established tank.

The first fish can go in once the plants are showing signs of growing. Add the entire group of shoaling fish (like the Silvertips, then neons) at the same time. Species a few days apart to be safe.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    I might have missed this info here in your thread, but is your tank cycled yet ?

I would suggest to only add your fish if your tank has finished cycling seeing as you seam to have already started to do a fishless cycle

While plants will certainly go a very very long way to help consume the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, I would suggest to make sure your filter media is cycled first before adding any fish. It greatly reduces any risk and can make things a whole lot easier and safer. It allows you to take things one set at a time and give you a lot of room for error without risking your water quality.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with Cliff. While it is true when done correctly, plants do make a new tank safe, it takes a bunch of them. Most people will not add the proper amount of plants required to immediately start stocking a tank and it is better safe than sorry. Nothing, not even plants, beats a properly cycled tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunatelly your advice came a bit too late.

I just introduced the first school of 13 neons (asked for 12 but received 13). It`s the only species from my stocking plan that was on stock.

The first day they just stayed in the thickest bush they found. Second day they started exploring and even came to the front of the aquarium on some occasions. When I gave them crumbled flakes, they ate them gladly.

So my guess is that they are doing fine so far.

I intend to do 20 % water changes every 4-5 days for the first month.

I will introduce the second school of fish (silvertip tetras) 2 weeks from now if nothing goes wrong.

Thanks for all your help.