Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PH problem

1. Default PH problem

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I setup my new aquarium for a week now.

100L (80x32x40 cm), 2x 24 W light, filtering 650L/h
    Substrate: JBL Aquabasis, JBL Manado.
    CO2 - JBL Bio 160 running day and night.
    7 types of plants, 4-5 of them already started to grow.
    No fish yet as i`m still cycling.

I bought yesterday a PH tester (6-7.6 range). I proceeded to test the water.

So:
    yesterday evening Aquarium water PH value was: 7.6-7.8.
    measured the tap water that I put into the Aquarium: 7.0
    This morning the Aquarium water PH value was again: 7.6

I don`t get it. Even though the CO2 was running all night and the plants did not use it, the PH did not drop at all.
    Why did the PH in my aquarium rise from 7.0 (tap watter) to 7.6-7.8?

Any thoughts on this?

1 Not allowed!
    Your pH can become unstable when completing a fishless cycle due to the high levels of ammonia. Other things that could also cause changes in your pH are certain types of substrates meant for marine set-ups and certain types of rocks. Another factors could be the amount of CO2 in your tap water. Perhaps you could take a sample of tap water, test the pH, then let this same sample sit for 24 hours allowing all the CO2 gas off and then test the pH again.
    Last edited by Cliff; 11-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the most simple answer is Co2 releases carbonic acid in the water and decreases ph. If you would like to get a little more technical, check this out

http://ion.chem.usu.edu/~sbialkow/Cl...ic%20Acid.html

0 Not allowed!
    As has been mentioned, out-gassing the CO2 from your tap water may be needed to accurately determine the pH of the tap water. As Cliff said, let a glass of tap water sit overnight, or alternatively shake some very briskly in a covered jar for a couple minutes before testing. This will tell you/us if the aquarium pH is remaining the same as the tap, or if it is rising.

I would also find out the GH and KH of your tap water; you can get this (or should be able to) from the municipal water people who may have a website with water data posted. The KH in particular acts as a buffer preventing the pH from fluctuating. I wrote an article on the relationship of hardness and pH a couple years back, and will post it if you ask.

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for not being exact in my previous post. I was testing the water that I put aside for dechlorination in bucket. That water has 7.0 (Water was put in there for over a week now).

As I mentioned in my other post (fish compatibility subforum) my GH is 2.14 german degrees.
    KH not specified.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by arathemis View Post
    Sorry for not being exact in my previous post. I was testing the water that I put aside for dechlorination in bucket. That water has 7.0 (Water was put in there for over a week now).

As I mentioned in my other post (fish compatibility subforum) my GH is 2.14 german degrees.
    KH not specified.
    With this information, I would suggest there may be something calcareous in your aquarium. Rock, gravel, sand are the usual substances that may be calcareous. Some enriched plant substrates also do this.

I remember your situation from the other thread; you have very soft water, and usually (though not always) the KH will be similarly low. This should allow the pH to lower naturally once fish are in the tank, as the increase in organics causes carbonic acid and lowers the pH.

You added diffused CO2 has the same effect, or should, of lowering the pH.

Have you any idea what the substrate is, or rocks if any? There is also the cycling issue as Cliff mentioned; what "ammonia" are you adding?

Byron.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Byron makes a good point by asking if you have any rocks as decorations in your tank? If you do and are not sure what kind, simply remove them and pour white vinager over them, if they bubble up than the rock is calcareous and should not be used unless you want your pH to raise.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I mentioned that my substrate is JBL Aquabasis, and JBL Manado (some kind of light vulcanic neutral rock - it`s porous).
    The rocks were tested prior to puting them in the aquarium with vinegar. No bubbles. I looked for them myself in the mountains nearby. These mountains are not calcarous. They are sediment rocks (easile breakable - you can see the layers of sediments in them). Pictures of them are available in my other thread. So I don`t think they are the cause.

It can be the cycling, with the ammonia. That is the only thing that would make sense.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by arathemis View Post
    I mentioned that my substrate is JBL Aquabasis, and JBL Manado (some kind of light vulcanic neutral rock - it`s porous).
    The rocks were tested prior to puting them in the aquarium with vinegar. No bubbles. I looked for them myself in the mountains nearby. These mountains are not calcarous. They are sediment rocks (easile breakable - you can see the layers of sediments in them). Pictures of them are available in my other thread. So I don`t think they are the cause.

It can be the cycling, with the ammonia. That is the only thing that would make sense.
    I would not write off the JBL Aquabasis quickly. I looked this up, and it didn't say either way. But most of these substrates containing minerals do leech them into the water a bit. I know my Flourite did, and others have said that Eco-Complete does, and Aquasoil (or whatever it is called), so this is still possible.

What source of ammonia are you adding? I would just mention that you have live plants, so "cycling" the tank is not necessary. With sufficient fast-growing plants (stem and floating plants are ideal here) you can add a few fish and go from there. Much easier, safer and avoids the ammonia/pH issues.

Byron.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I put 2-4 flakes (fish food) per day in the tank.
    There are also some dead leaves from my plants (one of than seems to have troubles accommodating to my tank, so there are plenty of those).

I`m not adding Ammonia solution if that`s what you`re asking. I`m doing it the natural way :)