· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Albino stopped eating

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy ! Well, it seems like my albino cichlid has gone on a hunger strike....out of spite. No, really...he stopped eating because I gave him some different food. Story goes like this. Back on 10/24 I had run out of his usual food (Hikari Sinking Cichlid Gold) and so I went to the pet store..and they were out of stock. The fish guy went on and on about this other brand (New Life Spectrum Thera +A ) and if I didnt get something then the fish wouldnt have had food in two days so I got it. Went home, put some in the tank...fish swam over, gulped it up...and BAM...instant reaction...Spit it out. Swam around ...gulped it up again...and spit it out again. And that's the way it went for 4 or 5 days. I was hoping he'd get used to it, but he didnt. By the 6th day I went to the store again..but was only able to get him the floating version of his food. He ate a little bite of that...and spit it out. This past Saturday I was finally able to get him his old food...but he just let the pellets float down next to him and sit there. Hes just not interested in eating anymore. So...counting Saturday..this is the 5th day he hasn't eaten.

Right before the new food he was fine as far as I could tell. Externally he looks fine. Nothing growing on him or nothing like that. His fins look great. He looks to be perfectly healthy.

Sunday I put in a new filter and have been doing 25 percent water changes since.

Last night he was out of his house and swimming around slowly from time to time. Even coming to the front of the tank and watching me, usual stuff like that...its just I dropped a pellet into the tank...and he didnt care.

Tonight...he's been staying in his house only coming out once or twice....but for some strange reason...goes back into his house if I open the tank lid...where as before he would come out to the glass with his nose if I put my finger to the glass. Not sure whats up with that, either. What's also strange is something I noticed last night. I turned the light off...and he came out of his house and livened up. I just did it right now...and he came right out to the front of the tank....looked around and went back in. Now he came back out again and is staying out. Could the light be bothering him?

Anyway....I'm hesitant to medicate just for the sake of he's not acting normal and also he's not exhibiting any signs of internal or external disease...meaning he's not Flashing about or stuff like that.

So does any one have any ideas about whats going on and how I can help him. Obviously somethings gotta be done pretty quick. He hasn't eaten normally in days.

Much thanks

John.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    First, a healthy fish will not starve itself so if you are sure nothing is wrong with him, call his bluff. A healthy fish can go more than a few days without eating and remain a healthy fish.

Second, it does seem like the lights are bothering him for some reason. Have you tried feeding him with the lights off?

Finally, to help determine if there might be something wrong with the fish have you checked parameters, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and when was the last time you checked your tap water for the same? Is he the only fish in the tank or are there other fish that might be bothering him in some way? How often are you doing the 25% water changes? You may need to do more and more often, nitrate levels are a good way to determine this.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. Oppss...I forgot to mention that ...Yes, He is in his own tank. And as far as water changes go...typically I do them every week or so. Last 3 days I've been doing them every night. And also on inspiration...I did try dropping pellets in while the lights were off....he either didnt see them or ignored them. I turned the light back on. He stayed out for a bit....and now is back inside. Peculiar.

You know...my Fish Disease Chart (you know..the one that does comes with the Mardel medicines) does get to a part where it asks " fish appears sluggish hiding, not eating" and goes on to describe physical symptoms (swollen body, red spots, bleeding)...none of which he has. Well he kinda sorta qualifies under the part...meaning the first two...sometimes....and he is definitely not eating. It puts those actions as possible Dropsy. I dont see how though. The water and filtration have been looked after. Anyway...it says treat with Maracyn Two.

He's back out now...swimming around a bit. I wish he'd put up a sign or something.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    It does make it difficult when they can't tell us what is wrong. Try this, it has helped me diagnose a few times. http://www.fishyportal.com/diag/
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow Mommy1 - Thats the best diagnostics chart I have ever seen. It says you must click on 2 conditions. So far I've only found 1 - "Fish stop feeding". The other one might be "Fish hide in secluded places"...but he doesnt do that all the time.

Last night since nothing external was obvious so I had to fall back on that it has to be something internal and gave him a small dose of Kanacyn. Later I found out that the medicine was old and chucked it and picked him up some Maracyn 2 on my way home because it specifically says for treating fish that wont eat.

When I got home Albino was very active, swimming about and such...even with the light on. He even seemed annoyed with his refection so I turned the light off.

Tonight I did a 1/3 water change to get rid of last nights medicine and am gradually giving him a dose of the Maracyn 2 to get him used to it.

He's swimming about quite actively, in the dark right now....just not eating yet.

Stay tuned.

Thanks again for the guide.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay...well...Albino is still alive...but he hasnt started eating yet. He definitely appears to have lost some weight. Not eating for over a week will do that.

Speaking of week....based on that diagnosis chart that Mommy1 sent me...and using the only two known criteria that i can "see" he meets....namely he wont eat and sometimes hides...I've been treating him for an internal parasite with Maracyn 2. Today is the 5th day of the recommended days. Not entirely sure that its helping. So far the only thing I see its done is that he's not bothered by the tank light and stays out of his house most the time like he used to. Which leads me back to that...he's just not eating.

I was wondering if it would be okay to change his medication. I have CLOUT and that has worked pretty well in the past. Maracyn 2 says you can use it for a second week....but I'm not entirely convinced on the results of the 1st week. Would it be okay to switch medications?

Albino did do something strange tonight. He swam up to the front of the tank and...of all things spit out a pellet that had been sitting on the bottom for a day. Then he swam over and scooped up another one....and spit it out too. Then a minute later he did a couple power swims from one side of the tank to the other....kinda like eating bothered or agitated him.

I turned the light off and he calmed down.

I still wish he'd put up a sign....with more specific info besides...I dont wanna eat.

As usual...all advise is appreciated.