· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbler View Post
    On another note, have any of you had any dealings with seed shrimp? I have some in my tank, they seem to come and go. I've read they are scavengers eating poo and other dead organic matter so I've left them alone to do their thing since they help clean the tank up some.
    Nope. I've never kept shrimp. Sounds like you've got a good thing going.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I concur with what fishmommie said about the ammonia and such. But another issue here is the soil, as I mentioned previously and to which you questioned me.

This is one of the issues with soil, ammonia and organics. Soil from your backyard might have all sorts of stuff in it, certainly organics. When a soil-substrate tank is set up, it can take up to six months for the biology to settle/establish. Some sources suggest not adding fish for this period to allow all this to play out without harm to fish. Even Diana Walstad, who advocates the soil substrate natural planted tank method, says that imbalance including high ammonia, algae issues and such will occur during the first few months. Herr recommendation to alleviate this is to plant very heavily so the ammonia is being mainly taken up by plants. And fast-growing plants especially floating plants are best at this.

So I would suggest the more likely source of your ammonia is the soil, rather than cycling.

Byron.

3. Default

3 Not allowed!
    I rarely disagree with Byron - and I'm not truly disagreeing now, however, if he's been killing off his BB by rinsing his media in tap water for a long time, I feel this is the primary contributing factor of of his repeated bacterial blooms. Most likely both are playing a part.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 11-09-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The reason I don't think its the soil is I used the exact same spot for soil, the same sand and rock for the 15 gal tank I did almost 2 months ago. The water in this tank is crystal clear, the only difference is I have not messed with the filter at all during this time.

When I said I had ammonia in the tank that was a while back, when I said there was ammonia and I have recorded no more than 0.25ppm. As it sits right now I'm registering no ammonia, but a slight trace of nitrates, and nitrites.

As for the seed shrimp I didnt add then or the couple snails, guess they came in on some of the plants. I keep finding snails here and there, but the bigger 3 I keep seeing the size of my pinky nail I keep. All the others I throw out

3 Not allowed!
    I would suggest your first step would be to get a very good amount of biological filter media in your filter and allow it to become cycled. Even trace amounts of ammonia and nitrites is most likely a sign of uncycled filter media.

Afterwards, if you still get ammonia and nitrites, I would guess your soil might be adding ammonia to the water
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Cliff.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I rarely disagree with Byron - and I'm not truly disagreeing now, however, if he's been killing off his BB by rinsing his media in tap water for a long time, I feel this is the primary contributing factor of of his repeated bacterial blooms. Most likely both are playing a part.
    This is sometimes a possibility, but rarely so in established tanks (i.e., not brand new). I have always rinsed my filter media under the tap, and it has never caused any issues. Here again, the plants help out, but there is also bacteria colonizing every surface in the tank. There is more bacteria in the substrate than in the filter. I know this can be a difficult concept to get many to understand, but I can assure you it is true.

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps you should clarify something. Back in post 1 you mention this tanks having been set up for months...is this true? Or are some of us (like me) getting mixed up over what is actually occurring here?

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    There is more bacteria in the substrate than in the filter. I know this can be a difficult concept to get many to understand, but I can assure you it is true.
    This is not as difficult concept to understand as you may believe. Bacteria will actually grow on all surfaces within the tank and become a part of the overall filtration. This is more commonly referred to as a aquarium becoming established. I think in the OP's situation, members here are suggestion a good amount of biological filter media to allow for what ever changes that may come. That way, the OP could even change the substrate in the aquarium without completely wiping out the set-ups ability to process ammonia. A stable and safe aquarium actually uses several different ways to process allowing this to develop one step at a time. Really it's a "playing it safe" approach
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    There is more bacteria in the substrate than in the filter. I know this can be a difficult concept to get many to understand, but I can assure you it is true.
    The concept is not difficult and stop assuming we are idiots. Bacteria grows on the hard surfaces in the tank and on surfaces in the filter media.. not difficult. Yes there is some bacteria in the tank, but due to the extreme porous nature of the sponge and ceramic media in the filter and the smooth nature of most things in the tank, there is far more surface area in the filter than there is in the tank, therefore, more bacteria in the filter. Proof to my point, I can completely tear down a tank, replace all the decor and set it back up and never experience an ammonia or nitrite spike, in fact over the 40 years I have in this hobby I have done this many many times. However, if I change filters, or replace filter media I now have ammonia and consequently nitrite spikes, unfortunately I have had to do this a few times over the last 40 years. I will trust my experience over your google research any day.
    Last edited by mommy1; 11-10-2013 at 01:13 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.