· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbler View Post
    just pulled the limestone from the tank!

The problem is the cloudy water, it doesn't smell or anything. But at one time I did have a small tetra submersible filter I picked up from walmart when I started seeing the fry in the tank. Before I made up a fry tank I had the filter in the 55gal. when the water started getting cloudy I would turn it on, and a couple days later the water would start to clear up. The little white filter cartridge would start turning a brownish color. Could my canister filter not be big enough for this tank? Did the carbon in the little cartridge make all the difference in the little filter? - A filter should be good for double the size of the tank

On another note the gold fish and the beta seam to be happy their color is nice and vibrant, and they get along with each other hanging out in the rotella together. they are both still growing some but I think they are about full grown by now. - Incorrect - goldfish grow to a MINIMUM of 6" - a koi or common goldfish can grow even larger (like a foot)- as long as the space is available - otherwise their growth can be stunted - courtesy of too little space to swim.
    Please note my comments above.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    You let the tank run for a month before adding fish, what did you use to completely cycle the tank during that time? An ammonia source is needed or you will lose the cycle. Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
    I didn't notice if these questions were answered - are you testing your water parameters?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    From the information you've given in this thread, I would suggest the cloudiness is a bacterial bloom. Goldfish add a lot of organics to the water. Plus you have soil which is notorious for this (organics). And a bacterial bloom is simply an excess of organics. The filter is not really of much help, as it cannot remove organics. Though unsightly, a bacterial bloom is harmless to fish. But do watch the ammonia, as the excess organics can cause issues with ammonia.

Byron.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    I didn't notice if these questions were answered - are you testing your water parameters?
    Yes since I'm had the cloudiness problem I test it once a week. Ammonia has never tested above 0.25 ppm, Nitrates at the max just below 5.0 ppm from what I have in my notes, and Nitrites never above 0.25ppm PH has always been right at 8-8.2 I have the API master test kit I use so its the most accurate I can get it, I don't use the test strips. Even when I had the Koi in the tank while it was cycling the ammonia never spiked over 0.25 ppm

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    From the information you've given in this thread, I would suggest the cloudiness is a bacterial bloom. Goldfish add a lot of organics to the water. Plus you have soil which is notorious for this (organics). And a bacterial bloom is simply an excess of organics. The filter is not really of much help, as it cannot remove organics. Though unsightly, a bacterial bloom is harmless to fish. But do watch the ammonia, as the excess organics can cause issues with ammonia.

Byron.

so with me using soil from my yard if this would be the cause of my bacteria issue would this potentially go away over time as the plants consume the nutrients from the dirt? I know the fish poo is still putting nutrients back into the sub straight but not that much since I don't feed them but twice a week lightly. They love the bit of algae growing on things.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Please note my comments above.
    I did not know that about the filter, should I look into an additional filter then, your thoughts? Is there a pouch I can place in the canister filter to try and combat the bacteria issue?

As for the gold fish it was one my son won at our town picnic, its either share the tank or put him in a bowl. The more humane path was put him in a tank that yes may be to small but he has clean water at least.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If you are showing any nitrItes at all and any ammonia at all - which you are at .25, then your tank is still cycling or going through mini cycles. those readings should always be 0
    Do you by any chance clean your filters and or filter media often? And if so, do you rinse the media in tap water? If so, you're killing your beneficial bacteria every time you rinse, consequently what you're seeing are repeated bacterial blooms as bacteria attempts to colonize on your media. instead of rinsing in tap water, always rinse in water you've removed from the tank or water you've treated with a dechlorinator first.

If that's not the case, do you happen to be running a bubbler? If so, is it buried in the substrate? and if so, that might be your problem. it will pick up debris from the bottom and keep it circulating in the tank.

If that's not either of the above, hopefully removing the limestone will help.

As for the goldfish - so sorry. it needs to go. the fish will become stunted as said above - that doesn't mean it just won't grow as big. the body will stunt but the internal organs will continue to grow and the fish will become deformed and ill. not a good thing.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 11-08-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    If you are showing any nitrItes at all and any ammonia at all - which you are at .25, then your tank is still cycling or going through mini cycles. those readings should always be 0
    Do you by any chance clean your filters and or filter media often? And if so, do you rinse the media in tap water? If so, you're killing your beneficial bacteria every time you rinse, consequently what you're seeing are repeated bacterial blooms as bacteria attempts to colonize on your media. instead of rinsing in tap water, always rinse in water you've removed from the tank or water you've treated with a dechlorinator first.

If that's not the case, do you happen to be running a bubbler? If so, is it buried in the substrate? and if so, that might be your problem. it will pick up debris from the bottom and keep it circulating in the tank.

If that's not either of the above, hopefully removing the limestone will help.

As for the goldfish - so sorry. it needs to go. the fish will become stunted as said above - that doesn't mean it just won't grow as big. the body will stunt but the internal organs will continue to grow and the fish will become deformed and ill. not a good thing.

uhhh yeah I think you have hit it right on the head. In the past each time I've done a clean out I have rinsed my contents of my canister filter with regular tap water. I checked my ammonia levels yesterday and it was reading 0 so I'm not worried about my fish. I have been doing water changes every other day thinking it was something I could eventually dilute and get rid of, should I keep doing a 25% change that often? Even if it is still cycling since I've been rising my container contents with tap water. I let it go for a week thinking it was a bacteria bloom but the water got so bad I could barely see the fish so I started doing some water changes.

9. Default

2 Not allowed!
    as long as your ammonia and nitrites are at the .25 level or below, you don't need to do additional W/C's. But if the those readings get toward .50 - I'd do a 50% W/C.

As a side note, water changes don't ever hurt so you can do them if you want --BB does not grow or live in your water. It lives in the substrate, on the decorations, plants and in the filter media.

Glad we figured it out. You're experiencing repeated mini cycles each time you rinse your media in tap water because you killed your bb.
    I wouldn't touch that filter media for a good 2 or 3 months. Just let the BB get good and established before cleaning again and then, rinse the media gently in old tank water or dechlorinated water. all should be well.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 11-09-2013 at 03:15 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    On another note, have any of you had any dealings with seed shrimp? I have some in my tank, they seem to come and go. I've read they are scavengers eating poo and other dead organic matter so I've left them alone to do their thing since they help clean the tank up some.