· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Can't for the life of me get nice clear water!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all!

I have a planted 55gal I cannot seem to keep clear ever! I have 4 platys, 1 off the wall algae eater(small 1/2 as much bigger than the platys are), and an assortment of 2 green, 2 blue, and 2 red cobra guppy males. Also with 3 female guppies. I did have more a couple months ago but a serious case of ich wiped out 8 of my fish(2 dwarf gourami, male & female Moscow black guppies, the other 4 platys, and the other 3 female guppies). Needless to say its been an uphill battle, oh did I mention they have been mating like crazy too! I have in a separate tank 25 cobra guppy fry.

So I have been trying to get nice clear water but with ill effect, my water stays constant at a PH of 8. I have a API water pillow in to try and lower my water hardness since its extremely high(our water is totally bad here). I have some rock structure built up for the fish to hid in, around, and under which is comprised of flag stone rock. On the other end of the tank I have a few small pieces of limestone rock adding a nice white contrast to that side of the tank. I have a large piece of drift wood from a local river which I boiled along with all the rock that is in the tank. The sub straight is soil I washed very well from a certain undisturbed part of my yard, and the sand is simple play sand which I washed very well too. I have it planted with dwarf sage, anacharis, riccia, rotella indica, and dwarf hair grass all of which have completely grown up and filled out the tank in a matter of 4 months. I have a 2 bulb aqualife T5 48" fixture with the 10,000k and actinic(blue) bulb I purchased it from a friend had in it. My filter is a aquatop 3 stage canister filter 264 gph which I have medium foam pad and finer pads on top of that in the bottom try and fluval bio max ceramic rings in the top two trays. It's only turning over the tank just under 5 times an hour I fear its not enough filtering capacity...

I only feed my fish 2 times a week now, but about a month ago I was feeding them everyday. I've sucked out all the poo I could find over the last couple days that was in the cracks of the rocks and what not. Could I still be feeling the after effects of over feeding or do I have a filter that is to small for this tank? Could this also be constant bacteria blooms? The tank had to be cycled by now I let it set and run for a month before I added any fish, I even took some of the water and a filter from my sons 15gal tank to help jump start the cycling when I first started it.

I have questioned the stone I've used and the soil from the back part of my yard along with play sand, but 3 weeks ago I redid my sons 15 gal column tank with the exact same rock, soil, sand, and clipping of plants from the 55gal. The water is still so clear its crazy, it has a aqueon quiet flow 10-20 gal filter on it with a 3" gold fish and a male betta. So if it were the material I used the same would be happening in this tank right? Can someone please shed some light on what is going on before I go nuts.
    Last edited by KingFisher; 11-07-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: inappropriate language

0 Not allowed!
    Is the water cloudy or is there suspended particulate?
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its like a white cloudiness, I cant visibly see any particulates floating around.

Awards Showcase

Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 
    We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny 

1 Not allowed!
    You let the tank run for a month before adding fish, what did you use to completely cycle the tank during that time? An ammonia source is needed or you will lose the cycle. Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

On a side note, that goldfish does not belong in a 15 gallon tank and the betta should not be housed in the same tank as a goldfish because their environmental requirements are very different.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

1 Not allowed!
    limestone only increases water hardness.

What's the issue? Suspended particles? air bubbles? Something else?

0 Not allowed!
    What type of filtration? It could be micro-bubbles from an impeller (I have one filter that causes a cloudiness in my entire 125g if I use it).

The subsoil could be causing a bacterial bloom - how did you prep it before use? If you just added yard soil in with only a wash, that could be the root issue.

One (expensive) option is to go with RO water, but that still may not have any impact on the root issue.

1 Not allowed!
    Oh, agree that you need to lost the limestone rock! That's not helping your pH issue at all!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just pulled the limestone from the tank!

The problem is the cloudy water, it doesn't smell or anything. But at one time I did have a small tetra submersible filter I picked up from walmart when I started seeing the fry in the tank. Before I made up a fry tank I had the filter in the 55gal. when the water started getting cloudy I would turn it on, and a couple days later the water would start to clear up. The little white filter cartridge would start turning a brownish color. Could my canister filter not be big enough for this tank? Did the carbon in the little cartridge make all the difference in the little filter?

On another note the gold fish and the beta seam to be happy their color is nice and vibrant, and they get along with each other hanging out in the rotella together. they are both still growing some but I think they are about full grown by now.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    You let the tank run for a month before adding fish, what did you use to completely cycle the tank during that time? An ammonia source is needed or you will lose the cycle. Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

On a side note, that goldfish does not belong in a 15 gallon tank and the betta should not be housed in the same tank as a goldfish because their environmental requirements are very different.

I was fish sitting for a coworker for a couple weeks for some 2-3" koi for his pond so I threw them in the tank for the first couple weeks

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
    What type of filtration? It could be micro-bubbles from an impeller (I have one filter that causes a cloudiness in my entire 125g if I use it).

The subsoil could be causing a bacterial bloom - how did you prep it before use? If you just added yard soil in with only a wash, that could be the root issue.

One (expensive) option is to go with RO water, but that still may not have any impact on the root issue.

aquatop 3 stage canister filter 264 gph is the canister filter I use