· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stocking Juwel Vision 180 (approx. 50 gallon)

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

I joined this site a couple of weeks ago needing help for some cichlids at work, and got some wonderful advice thank you :)
    This thread is just concerning my own tank at home, a new Juwel Vision 180.

Looking for some stocking suggestions, so far I have the following:

10 neon tetras
    3 young Botia Kubotai
    1 baby BN pleco
    2 golden rams
    1 electric blue ram
    2 otocinclus catfish

All of which I intend to keep for at least a year (if the kubotais outgrow it in this time I will rehome them to a much larger tank)

Also has 2 platies, some cherry barbs, and some harlequin rasboras which will be going in the next week or so.

I love my fish but it definitely looks in need of a large feature fish - at the moment everything just looks tiny and there's nothing for the eye to focus on! I've been considering discus after being told that a breeding pair would be fine, but don't want to spend so much money yet.

Any suggestions? Do I even have space left? There is a tiny baby angelfish in work who is just BEAUTIFUL but I've always been told they are too aggressive. I wouldn't mind so much if he ate the neons, and he certainly isn't big enough to do that yet. How fast do they grow? Are they like knife fish in that they don't eat small fish if they are raised with them from a young age?

Thanks in advance, any comments or suggestions are appreciated :)
    Eika

PS.
    Tank specs: 180L (92L x 41D x 55Hcm)
    Juwel Bioflow 6.0 filter
    Temp is at 27C
    pH is around 6.5
    Layout is plants, driftwoof, small grained pebbles.

0 Not allowed!
    A vision 180 is barely big enough for an angel. Problem is these fish are a bit unpredictable. If he grows up with the angels he may or may not eat them. He could also end up in territorial arguments with the rams.

Is it possible that perhaps your aquarium would benefit from some design changes and adding another 10 neons? When they've grown up in 6 months time it's going to be a nice group to look at and the rams should be just annoying enough to get them to shoal regularely. Also, have you considered getting more otos? They do tend to do better in larger groups.

0 Not allowed!
    A vision 180 is barely big enough for an angel. Problem is these fish are a bit unpredictable. If he grows up with the angels he may or may not eat them. He could also end up in territorial arguments with the rams.

Is it possible that perhaps your aquarium would benefit from some design changes and adding another 10 neons? When they've grown up in 6 months time it's going to be a nice group to look at and the rams should be just annoying enough to get them to shoal regularely. Also, have you considered getting more otos? They do tend to do better in larger groups.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your advice.

I do intend to get another 4 oto catfish, I had 4 originally but lost 2 when we moved house. They are charming little fish aren't they? I would also love to add another 10 neons but have hesitated to simply because I'm worried about overstocking. Do you think they wouldn't be a problem?

Once the rams have grown a bit they will probably be enough of a focal point, do you think it would be safe to keep an angel until then? I'm lucky enough to run an Aquatics department in a pet shop so if he does get territorial/overly aggressive I can always put him in the 700L display tank at work.