· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Recommended sand for multies?

0 Not allowed!
    Going to switch my 20 Long over to a shellie (multi) tank in about 3 months. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on black sand. What should I look for or avoid?

Thanks!!

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If you still need some advice, I would go with something like this from CaribSea (link below). It's called CaribSea Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand. You will want a fairly fine sand (0.5 - 1mm) so the multis can easily move it. You can also go with any type or sand that is for a salt water aquarium including aragonite sand. CaribSea "makes" a black aragonite also. Aragonite is fine for african cichlids because they are okay with hard water, but you wouldn't want to use this type of sand with other fish.

http://www.caribsea.com/Site/images/...on_380x380.jpg

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    If you want the least expensive option look for Black Diamond or Black Beauty blasting grit. It's actually coal slag, looks and acts like black sand but no silica so no diatoms a week or two after you put it in the tank. Completely inert, won't do anything for (or against) your water chemistry.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    I know it's not what you've asked (as you're obviously after black sand) but coral sand is ideal for Tanganyikans.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
    If you want the least expensive option look for Black Diamond or Black Beauty blasting grit. It's actually coal slag, looks and acts like black sand but no silica so no diatoms a week or two after you put it in the tank. Completely inert, won't do anything for (or against) your water chemistry.
    I still don't believe the silica angle here but, that aside, I'd be careful with blasting grit because it can be rather sharp and a sharp substrate is not something I'd want for fish that are so active in there.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used the african cichlid mix from caribsea (I think). This is the 20 long in my sig that is now home to N. Brichardi, instead of the multies...

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Talldutchie posted while I was typing... I considered the blasting grit breifly for my 75, but heard mixed reports, some claimed it did affect water quality. I chose not to use the blasting grit...

1 Not allowed!
    I'm a quick typer! ;)

I vaguely remember seeing some shots of these fish in the wild. Ignore the dutch, I think the pics speak for themselves:
    http://www.tanganyika.nl/plein/viewt...p?f=19&t=10382

As you can see there's a relatively coarse sand on the lake bottom with shell fragments mixed in. Also quite a lot of algae on rocks (so don't panic if some shows up on the decor in your tank!)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great link!!! I really enjoyed those pics!!!

0 Not allowed!
    There you go! Now I look forward to seeing the finished tank