· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cory Tank?

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Gorgeous fish Hardy, I don't know if Amelia has access to them in New Zealand though.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    lol. Sorry forgot to check the locations...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    I realy enjoy my Green neon tetras and have found them to be hardier than most articles say they are. Their behavior IMO is more like Cardinals than neons.
    This is true. There are now four known species of "neon." The original neon of course, and the cardinal, and the false or green neon. These three are in the hobby, but the fourth is not as far as I know; Heiko Bleher discovered it back in 2006 and although DNA sequencing was done with the fish he took back to Europe, the species has not yet been described and named so far as I know. The ichthyologist to whom Heiko gave the specimens did the DNA and then unfortunately died. Heiko had also discovered the false/green neon back in the early 1960's, and Gery described it in 1963. No one knew about DNA back then of course, and Gery was certain the false neon was not related to the other two, and placed it in the genus Hyphessobrycon. Weitzman later disagreed and moved it into Paracheirodon, the genus Gery himself had erected for the neon and cardinal, and subsequent DNA has confirmed this placement.

But to the DNA, the neon has 16 chromosomes and the newly discovered species (which does bear a striking resemblance to the neon except the silver is arrowed into the red) has 17 (if memory serves me) which places it genetically close to the neon. The cardinal on the other hand has 26 chromosomes, and the false/green neon has 25, so these two species are obviously genetically much closer than they are to the other two. The colour pattern is remarkably similar between the two divisions too, as the cardinal and false have red while the neon and the new discovery have red and silver underneath.

The cardinal and false neon inhabit some of the same areas, and this is why one can often see the odd false neon in with shipments of cardinals, but never neons as their habitat is quite different. The last group of wild-caught cardinals I acquired back in February were in my tank for a day when I spotted a false neon among them.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for the feedback. Byron all that information is fascinating. I am currently doing a Biology degree at university and I am particularly interested in taxonomy. I had no idea there was a fourth species in the Paracheirodon genus. Would love to see that tank of yours with all those cories. I have always loved cories but I rehomed my original ones (peppers, sterbais and pandas) to focus on loaches in my 65g. The loaches were just a bit too hard on the poor wee cories, but I always vowed I would set up a dedicated cory tank!

Steeler yes! That's the one, C. similis. They were being sold under the name "Tail Spot Cory" (C. caudimaculatus) at my LFS but then after a little googling I discovered they were actually Smudgespots (or Violets, as you call them) instead, which are much nicer anyway IMO. Anyway I have just found there may be up to a 3 month wait on the Smudgespots as there is currently only one breeder and she already has a waiting list for these little beauties. I am hopeful they will pop back up at my LFS but they will probably be horrendously expensive. I am sure they are worth the wait anyway.

Hardy those cories are impressive!! But sadly as Steeler mentioned I don't think they are available here. We have a very limited range of species of fish available in New Zealand due to super stringent import/quarantine laws.

Thinking I would like to go with 2 species, possibly 8 of each if I can swing it. At this stage I like the idea of C. trilineatus and C. similis. I like that they both stay smallish as well.

Also thanks everyone about the tips on the Green Flame/Fire tetras. I hadn't heard that about them, perhaps I should avoid them in that case. I may just stick with Cardinals, as as much as I like Green Neons they are very pricey here, about $10 each from my LFS, whereas I can go to a local breeeder and get Cardinals for $5 each or neons for $1.50.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I would go with the Cardinals at that price, a big school of 25 with the Cory's would look great. Someday I may do your Idea with just Cardinals and maybe Oto's in a medium size tank.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    If your fish store has the scientific name as Corydoras caudimaculatus, that is a very similar fish. This species was described by F. Rossel in 1961; the species epithet is a reference to the tail fin, derived from the Latin caudus [= tail] and maculatus [= stained or spotted]. C. caudimaculatus is generally deemed to be most similar to C. guapore; the latter tends to swim more in mid-water than C. caudimaculatus. I'm attaching a photo of C. caudimaculatus below, followed by one of C. guapore. Steeler already posted the video of C. similis so that should be clear.

The species C. similis might easily be confused with Corydoras guapore, C. caudimaculatus, C. spectabilis or C. ourastigma which all have similar basic patterns, and except for the latter, these all occur in the Madeira/Guapore basin. Only C. similis and C. ourastigma have a "smudged" blotch at the base of the caudal fin rather than a distinct spot as in other spotted-head species.

C. similis was described by H. Hieronimus in 1991. The species epithet similis is the Latin for "looks like," a reference to the similar colouration and pattern in Corydoras ourastigma which was described prior to C. similis; C. ourastigma has a long snout whereas C. similis is rounded, an easy way to tell these two apart.

It is interesting how we are now discovering that there are pairs of species in Corydoras, by which I mean that there are two almost-identical species throughout this genus. Sometimes there are obvious differences, such as one being round headed and the other long-nosed; sometimes it is the width of the dorsio-lateral band, or something. There is a word for this which I've forgotten, it will probably come to me in the night.

Corydoras caudimaculatus1.jpgCorydoras guapore1.jpg
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got that Byron. Thanks for your response and information. All those Corys shown are great !!!!
    No Cory, No Glory !!

1 Not allowed!
    @byron: Got a link to the background info on that 4th species?

@Amelia: Have you considered doing a cory only and getting them to breed? Can be fun to do but would mean no other species (and certainly not P. Simulans!!)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    @byron: Got a link to the background info on that 4th species?
    If by fourth species you mean Corydoras ourastigma:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...?species_id=74

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...as-ourastigma/
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

1 Not allowed!
    Bryon.... you are a fish nerd.

Not an insult. Just saying lol