· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerileous View Post
    Are you on a municipal water supply? If so their website should contain a water quality report.

You can also purchase an API test for about 5 bucks on amazon, or find less accurate tests at a hardware/home store.
    I have an API kit. So you just want the Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, and pH levels?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, the strip light fits the top is a 20" light. I am having trouble finding a light to fit there for plant growing. Is a halide my only option?

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by seabterry View Post
    I have an API kit. So you just want the Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, and pH levels?
    If you can't get the dGH (general hardness, the important one) and dKH (carbonate hardness, tells how well your pH is buffered) numbers for your tap water from your municipal water report, you can get the API GH/KH liquid test kit. You need to know these numbers, along with pH, to work up a stocking list. Also, test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate with your API kit. It's important to know the parameters of your tap water before choosing fish.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know marineland makes an 18-24 inch LED fixture that would fit. But I can't be positive whether or not it would adequately distribute light to the front and back of the tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know marineland makes an 18-24 inch LED fixture that would fit. But I can't be positive whether or not it would adequately distribute light to the front and back of the tank.
    They have the double led light, but I don't know if it would be adequate for the plants.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finding the watts on an led light can seem impossible sometimes.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually watts is rather irrelevant on an LED light anyway. We generally use PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation), which can be measured by a PAR meter. I have seen PAR readings of the double bright that are appropriate for low to medium light plants at the depth of your substrate. I have not, however, seen any data on the PAR readings as far off center as the front and back of your tank would be, however I suspect that it will be inadequate except directly under or within a few inches of the fixture, at least for anything but the lowest light requiring plants.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tap pH is 7.5. Nitrate and Nitrite are both zero. Ammonia is also zero. I added some plants from my father's tank and started up my filter. My pH has gone up to 8.1 in 24 hours.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't worry about your readings at this point - your tank isn't cycled yet - pH won't stay stable until that happens anyway.

Your readings show a typical uncycled tank - you won't have a reading for ammonia until you add some.

I assume you are doing a fishless cycle?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default New 35 Gallon Hex for a Beginner

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the tank as it sits.