· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well no Fu Manchu, but they did have two dwarf red fuzzy lions so I got the one that was brighter red after I saw both of them devour a couple live ghost shrimp. I'll get a picture up as soon as he comes out of hiding. My puffer went into attack hover mode a soon as he saw the intruder then he paused for a couple seconds and went about his business as usual.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1522077_10202747652600183_2007469970_n.jpg1509863_10202742210664138_1014236565_n.jpg
    I'll try to get some better ones when he comes out to feed soon I hope, his colors are vivid in the light.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does this look like a good deal. I was thinking of trading some iron from another hobby to fund my new love of saltwater aquaria. http://houston.craigslist.org/for/4247105114.html

0 Not allowed!
    I smell a bad deal. But this is only based on the miss-leading description of the lighting in the add.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I need to master this tank before I upgrade. I really need some help in simple terms. I thought I was going to be ok with a berlin style saltwater setup but I cant seem to shake the Amonia. Here is a refresh of what I have going on now.
    40 gallon breeder tank, aragonite sand, 45lbs of dry tonga rock cured in tank for last month with 15 lbs of fresh purple pukani rock, 96w pc 10k, 96w acnitic blu pc, reef octopus hob bh 100 skimmer, ehiem 2217 canister with original cherios and round biomedea stuff that came with it.
    Fish are a 2 1/2 " Green Spotted Puffer, a 7" snowflake eel, an emerald crab, 3 Mexican turbo snails, 4 small hermit crabs, and a small frag of green zoas that are still ok.
    I am keeping the salinity around 1.024- 1.026.
    Ther is also a Sicce voyager 2 for circulation and another one coming soon with a jbj pump filling in for now.
    Do I need to change the stuff in my ehiem or do I need a real refugium sump setup?

0 Not allowed!
    I've been using the Berlin style set-up for a few year now without issue. However, there could be a lot of reasons why your set-up is not working as it should. A refugium typically doesn't effect ammonia levels in a aquarium so I would thing something else may be going on here. My apologies if you have already provided the information to my below questions but I missed it.

What are you using for your water source and is there any ammonia in that water ?

Could you be over feeding ?

What are your water parameters for: salinity. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, magnesium, calcium, and alkalinity ?

How are you testing your salinity ?

Have you tested your pH just before lights out and just before they come back on

Any reason why you are using a canister filter (not actually a part of a true Berlin style set-up)? After a month your dry rock should be cycled, however, adding that eel could have increased your bioload too quickly.

Have you been using this same canister filter since the tank was more of a fresh water set-up

What is you current maintenance routine like

Were you thinking of up-grading for when your snowflake eel starts to grow ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been buying store bought ro di saltwater made with tropic main salt I believe
    I am pretty bad about over feeding probably
    I test salinity with a calibrated atc refractometer at 1.025 now
    other test are done with api freshwater kit with saltwater charts
    ammonia is always about 1 to .75
    nitrite always 0
    nitrate about 10 to 20 now that I started rinsing out the canister once a month or so
    ph 8.4
    phosphates about 1 or a little less
    mag, calc, alk. I have no idea
    I was changing about 5 gallons almost every day for a month, now I change 10 gallons every 3 - 5 days
    future upgrade for the eel and what I wanted anyways is a 3' wide by 2' deep by about 21" tall

0 Not allowed!
    Try feeding your normal daily amount every second or third day for two weeks.

Are the saltwater test charts you are using from a actual test kit, or did you down-load and print them ? I would also suggest to have your ammonia test results confirmed. Although I have found the API ammonia test kit to be accurate, I do know of a few people in our local aquarium society who have got in accurate results from it. Maybe consider getting a Salifert or Elos test kit as though are very accurate

I would also suggest to continue with the more frequent water changes. it sounds like your rock is still leaching out nitrates. Your dwarf lionfish will most likely not do too well in high nitrates level like that over the long term.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to say the lion fish died after only about a day and a half, that's when the store I got it from gave me the eel I was looking to get before I saw the lionfish. They would have gave me another lionfish but they were out and not sure if they could get the same kind in anytime soon. The eel isn't what I expected but he is growing on me slowly. As long as he doesn't hurt my puffer he's cool.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast