1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im starting to have problems, heres the tank stats now
    1.014 sg
    7.9 ph
    1.125 ammonia
    0 nitrate
    40 nitrate
    I just did a 25% water change yesterday, started adding the micro bacter 7 at half dose until I get salinity up to 1.020. After the water change my ph went down from8.1,amonia went from .50 to .125, nitrites are still 0, and nitrate is still at 40. I am also starting to see a light layer of algae starting on my dry rocks and top layer od fine sand. I also noticed a layer of funk at the skin of the water with the lights on looking up from below the surface. Is my filling in the ehiem and or topfin 40 backpack sabotaging me? I don't want a green tank.

0 Not allowed!
    My guess would either the oxygen level is too low, or your alkalinity is too low (or a combination both).

What do you have in the tank for water flow right now ?

How fast have you been increasing your salinity ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I need an alkalinity test of some sort, for flow I have the eheim 2217 running with all the stuff in it that came with it, a topfin 40 hob filter. I have been raising the salinity right at about .002 sg every week to not kill off the good bacteria from the freshwater too fast as the marine bacteria catches up to replace it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    043.jpgI did another water change and may have added a bit more salinity than usual this week. I got the water at a different store which sells stronger salt water than what I was buying. So heres where I'm at now
    1.0175 sg, 7.9 ph, .5 ammonia, .125 nitrite, 40nitrate.
    I added 8 lbs of cured liverock to help get things going sooner for the fishes sake and two hermit crabs maybe 1/2" each to clean up some uneaten food I cant reach with the vacuum. I also added a sicce 2 voyager pump to help with the oxygen level. I still need the protein skimmer which I should be able to get this coming Friday. I don't want to use ammonia lock if I don't have to unless you recommend it. The live rock is Fiji pukani branch I believe. My lfs just got a big shipment in and was just rinsing it off in the back and he let me pick through it first, talk about lucky timing.
    Last edited by Roach; 11-24-2013 at 05:46 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you cure the rock yourself, or just put it in the tank after you got it from the store ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It was already cured, pretty purple mostly and didn't smell bad. There are even tiny burgundy tree looking things on a lot of them and I think its all alive. Its in my tank now, I rinsed it off also with some of my tank water.

0 Not allowed!
    You certainly would have gotten some die off on the rocks while taking the them home. Not a matter of "if" but only a matter of "how much". Only extremely high amounts of die-off will result in a noticeable smell when the rock are out of the water. IMO, there is no such thing as pre-cured live rock unless you do it yourself, but I'm a bit of a extremist that way. Hopefully it won't add a significant amount of ammonia, but you will get some.

I would suggest a lot of extra water changes to get the nitrates down as quickly as possible. I would strongly suggest that your target would be under 5ppm. You have to keep in mind your rocks are like sponges and will soak up nitrates when exposed to water with higher nitrate levels. When you lower the nitrate level in the water, the rocks will leach some nitrates back into the water bringing them up again. I would suggest about 20% daily water changes. This will not slow down the establishing of your marine beneficial bacteria. As you are buying pre-made salt water, you can just add some RO water or dechlorinated tap water to lower the salinity to match the salinity of your aquarium to avoid unintended swings in your salinity while completing the extra water changes.

Using a bacteria supplement like the on in the link below can help to speed things up a little, but I would still strong suggest the daily water changes to lower those nitrates and keep them no higher than 5ppm.

http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/bri...a-2-liter.html

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's the exact supplement I've been adding for almost a week now. I'll go get some more water today then and change 5 gallons a day for at least the rest of this week.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am getting worried now after doing 5 gallon water change every day and adding the microbacter 7 after each waterchange my parameters are getting worse and I found a half eaten hermit crab and the other one is no where to be seen. They were only about a half inch long at least. I am going to run out and get a hang on back skimmer, from what I understand it will slow down the cycle so it isn't as extreme on the fish. I believe it is the reef octopus bh100 they have here, I don't want to wait to order the bh1000 online. Here's where my water sits as of this morning
    1.0185 sg according to hydrometer
    7.8 PH
    .75 Amonia
    .125 Nitrite
    50 Nitrate

0 Not allowed!
    A skimmer won't slow down your cycle to any significant amount. I have cycled my last two set-ups with a skimmer running and did not notice a difference

You are likely still suffering from die-off on the live rock you just added. Not to mention the bacteria that survive on that rock is likely still in a little shock from the drastic change in salinity from being in a full marine environment and then into more brackish so it won't be doing much to help your parameters for a while.

Large, very large, waterchanges will help more than it will hurt right now.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast