· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything I've read so far leads to 6- 6 1/2 inches and requires 30 gallons per adult GSP. On another note I just looked up my tank dimensions and the 40 breeder is only 16" tall so if the reef octopus doesn't fit i'll have a legitimate excuse to get a 65 gallon reef ready tank. Damn this gets expensive quick.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My local fish store sold me the stuff to cure the dead rock. MicroBacter 7
    He said I could seed the rock I have coming with this and have less worries of bad crap from fresh live rock. Also he said I bought too much rock for my 40 gal breeder, I ordered 70 pounds of tonga branch. How many pounds do I need for biological filtration and is there such a thing as too much rock?

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you have enough open swimming space for your fish, you will not have too much live rock. I have about 350 lbs in my 180 gallon and about 150lbs in my 120 gallon. The more live rock you have, the more stable your set-up will be once it matures. The generally accepted rule of thumb is about 1 lb per gallon.

Also, there is no product on the market that will instantly cycle a tank. I have used that product before and am specking from first hand experience. While I am certain it did help, it did not cycle my tank for me. The marine cycle is not very different from a fresh water cycle in that you need a ammonia source to cycle your live rock, or filter media. You can not make dead rock live by adding a bacteria additive.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know I have to remember puff diddy might reach 6" or so. He will need room to hang out and hunt. I'm already looking at the marineland 36x 36 150 gal or 36x 48 200 gal pre drilled tanks. I wish they had a 24x36 tank however many gallons it may be cause i'm worried about weight in my next house.

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe look into a 5 foot long 120 gallon or a 6 foot long 125 gallon tank. That helps with your concerns about the weight as it spreads out the weight over a larger surface area reducing the impact on the floor. Acrylic tanks will also be a lot less weight as compared to glass, but they are also a lot more expensive.

I forgot to ask if you are using a hydrometer or refactormeter to test your salinity ?

If you are using a hydrometer, I would suggest getting a refractormeter. Most of the hydrometers on the market today can have a variance of as much as 0.003 which is a very large difference. Refactormeters are a lot more accurate provided you use a test solution and recalibrate them every month or two.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I see what your saying about getting a longer tank to disperse the weight across more floor joists. I've decided to hold off for now until I get my new home built cause who really likes moving a 100+ gallon tank. I have a hydrometer now but plan on getting a refractormeter in a couple weeks with a skimmer hopefully to save on shipping again. I was also wondering at about what salinity should I quit testing my water with the API master freshwater kit and get an API saltwater kit and which kit also.

0 Not allowed!
    You might want to check with the manufacture. I know API test kits use the same regents for FW and SW, but you need a different color chart for FW and SW. Their instructions do not list a required salinity tho which makes it hard to tell when to stop using one color chart and start using the other. Even my salifert test kits don't list a minimum salinity level

This is a very interesting question. I I'm going to look into it more. Sorry I could not be much help here

Edit: the below link might be helpful

http://successfulreefkeeping.com/res...-instructions/
    Last edited by Cliff; 11-09-2013 at 06:32 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Man, you've been a great help Cliff. Thanks. I will get the Saltwater kit next weekend with a few other things hopefully. Its good to know the fresh and salt use the same juice just need the other color chart. I'll get the Reef kit down the road after I get the fish settled down in full marine. I'm afraid my Green Spotted Puffer may reek havoc when stuff starts growing on my rocks. I just put the plastic grate under my sand bed and took out the old texas holey rock and put in about fifty pounds maybe of the Tonga branch dry rock. I'll add a few pounds of cured liverock when I get the salinity up to 1.025 i'm trying to gain .002 sg every week. I need to run and get some saltwater at my lfs now and i'll post up a pic after I top it off if you would like to check it out?

0 Not allowed!
    Are you kidding,.... YES.... I would like to see some pics

I really like all the shapes you can get Tonga branching rock in. It can be a lot easier to get a very interesting rock structure with that stuff as compared to some other types of live rock.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    199.jpg
    I hope I got a good pic, it wouldn't let me preview it. Ill post as many as you want just let me know.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast