· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Need help changing salinity for puffer

0 Not allowed!
    I've been procrastinating too long. My little GSP Diddy deserves a marine tank at his size. I have been creeping the brackish up slowly to 1.009 so far and will do another water change tomorrow after work so I can drop off my knight goby at the local fish store, he needs to be less salt I believe. I just ordered 70lbs of dry liverock " http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-tonga ... ock-1.html " Can I cure it by itself in a bucket with a pump and heater or do I need to get real live rock to seed it, or should I just dump it in my brackish tank and let it evolve with the bacteria in my tank. I have many more hardware questions after this too. Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.

0 Not allowed!
    You link doesn't work for me

Could please clarify what type of rock you purchased. Is is completely dry out rock, or is it live rock (still wet with bacteria and stuff living on it). Both are two completely different things and my advice/suggestions would be completely different for each. It sounds like you got completely dried out and dead rock, but I want to make sure I am understanding you correctly
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I got it at Bulk Reef Supply. Its description is Tonga simple multi-branch dry live rock. I can't find any other description that answers your question so ill expect the worst of the two options otherwise a place that big would have known to advertise the benefits of the other choice. Let's guess completely dried out rock since I need to raise the salt in my current tank anyways.

0 Not allowed!
    OMG, I am shocked at that. There is no such thing as dead live rock, or dry live rock. You would think a company that actually sells it would understand the difference and know better.

But anyways, if it is actually dry/dead rock, then think of it as new unseeded filter media. You can add it to your tank at any time as it has no bacteria or anything else alive on it at all. You can soak it before adding it to leach out nitrates or phosphates if you want, but extra water changes while it is in your tank can help with that as well. But this is basically like adding bran new and un-seeded filter media to a aquarium. I searched that description on their website, and based on the pictures and description it does look like you are getting dead/dry rock.

But if it is live rock, you will need to cure it in a container (not your tank). The below link can help you with that. The only difference in your situation is that you want the starting salinity you are curing the rock in to be around 1.025. As you are curing the rock, slowly lower the salinity bu 0.001 each day until you hit your target salinity that you want in your aquarium.

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/cur...ine-aquariums/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for that link Boss, that really has me going in the right direction when my rocks show up later this week I hope. I hope you have time for a boatload of more questions to help me with this specific tank setup. I have acquired a lot of leftover hardware scraps from the guys at work hustling on craigslist and also bought the important stuff from local retailers which I try my best to buy from.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's my plan. feel free to pick it apart and rebuild if needed.
    40 gallon breeder tank
    eheim 2217 with factory fillings
    40 lbs moonlight white caribsea sand
    Current compact light 96 watt 10k and acnitic blu bulbs
    Lifeguard UV sterilizer 8 watt and optional lifeguard chemical filter
    200 watt heater
    70 lbs of live rock although I may steal 12 lbs or so for the 10 gallon quarantine tank
    especially if I add fresh live rock to seed it
    this skimmer as soon as possible http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-o...n-skimmer.html

0 Not allowed!
    Just a few things to consider (if you have not already)

-That does seam like a lot of light unless you are planning corals. If not, just stick with acntic bulbs as that will help to reduce algaes
    -would use a canister for biological filtration once all of your rock is seeded (live). That will just add to routine maintenance or add nitrates to the set-up. As you will have live rock, you really don't need it. I would only use it for chemical media.
    -I have read a lot of good things about the skimmer in your link, I'm sure you will be happy with it. Have you also considered a AquaC Ramora ? They are a little cheaper and I have had great luck with mine.
    - I would suggest a different substrate. There are a lot of different pros and cons to using live sand. IMO, the cons to not make up for the pros
    Last edited by Cliff; 11-04-2013 at 12:53 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so if I use the blue light for 8-12 hours a day and just the 10k while cleaning or feeding?
    And once I get the live rock working properly can I just emty out all the stuff in the ehiem to keep the flow and uv light hooked to the outlet
    I'll look into the Ramora also. Ramora is 19" tall and the reef octo is only 17" which I believe to be the same height of my tank
    Last edited by Roach; 11-04-2013 at 01:11 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I can;t see a problem with any of that.

I have read a lot of conflicting information about how big a GPS will get once they are fully grown. You might want to keep a close eye on him just to make sure. I have never kept one so I can't off much help on tank size for him

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast