· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Suggestions for new RO/DI system

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys was just interested in hearing any thoughts or suggestions on RO/DI systems. I'm looking to get into keeping Saltwater and was interested in getting a RO/DI system because I know that proper water quality is one of the most important aspects of the hobby.

I have been looking at Spectrapure's website and have heard that they offer a good product as well as helpful service. I was thinking of possibly a 4 stage with a pressure guage and a TDS meter. Unsure as to wether inline or hand held for the TDS meter.

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appriecated.

0 Not allowed!
    I would personally never use anything but RO water in any of my marine tanks. Just my preference, but I have found the using RO water and a good quality salt mix will make it a lot easier to get and keep very good water parameters

As long as you get a good brand of TDS meter, it won't matter too much if it's a in-line or hand held meter

I would suggest a 5 stage system with 3 stages of carbon, your RO membrane, and finally your DI cartridge. If you use a good quality carbon, such as catalytic activated carbon, most of chlorine and chloramines will be removed before the water gets to your membrane, allowing your membrane to last a whole lot longer.

When I got my RO unit, I got a cheaper 3 stage set-up and added a carbon cartridge in line before the unit and cartridge to hold the DI cartridge in line after the RO unit. I was able to save a lot of cash buy doing that
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Cliff for the advice. I will be researching these some more but am grateful for the suggestion. Quick question: I've noticed that some models are offered with a pump on top of the setup, what purpose does this serve?

Thanks again

0 Not allowed!
    The pump pressurized the water going through the system. It will increase the flow so you cam make RO water a lot fast. The set-ups without the pump use the water pressure from your house. Most people are fine without the pump. I did not not one so I could save some money
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]