· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: id please

1. Default id please

0 Not allowed!
    im trying to post a pic with this but if it doesn't take the description is that this bulb came in a pack with several others and grew very good. it has long stems with one leaf on each stem. the leaves have the shape of a heart , reddish in color turning to an almost rusty red ,plants 764.jpg please help if you can. thanks for your time.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the others are aponogetons and they grow extremely well however I do need to know If the stems are supposed to be as long as they are , which is as long as the tanks height.

0 Not allowed!
    Nymphaea water lily, maybe nymphaea stellata or rubra. It is normal for leaves to reach the surface, especially in lower light.

1 Not allowed!
    I concur, this is a Nymphaea, species might be N. lotus which comes in a green-leaf (dark olive green) and a red-leaf (often brownish-red upperside, pinkish underside) variant. I have the red leaf in my 90g. I will copy over a profile of this species I wrote a couple years back that may provide you some data on culture. As for the aponogeton, yes, the leaves of species are very long and will grow to the surface and then continue along the surface, sometimes for 2+ feet, depending upon species.

Nymphaea lotus

Common Name: Tiger Lotus, Red Tiger Lotus, Green Tiger Lotus

Origin and Habitat: Tropical regions of Africa and Madagascar [see additional comments under Description]. The red and green cultivars are natural; the red cultivar is found in shallow, standing water such as temporary pools and small permanent lakes. The green cultivar has been found in flowing waters.

Ideal position in aquarium

The roots must be in the substrate, and leaves will form submersed and floating. Floating leaves can eventually be suppressed by continually removing the larger leaves. Flowers, which are very rare in aquaria, will only form after the plant has developed many floating leaves; flowers open only during the night.

Lighting requirements

Moderate to bright. The red variety requires slightly brighter light than the green cultivar.

Growth rate

Moderate

Minimum Tank Suggestion

25 gallon. Best in tanks no less than 16-18 inches in depth.

Water parameters for Tiger Lotus

Suitable for soft or hard water, it prefers soft, slightly acidic water. Optimum temperature 22-28C/71-82F.

Description

The tiger lotus has a green-leaf and a red-leaf form, known as the Green cultivar and Red cultivar respectively, and these are naturally occurring. Some sources give Nymphaea zenkeri as the name for the Green "species" but this is inaccurate.

Both the red and green cultivars have the same requirements in the aquarium, though the red will have brighter coloured leaves in stronger light.

This species grows well in a plain sand or fine gravel substrate. With an enriched substrate, the plant will produce more leaves and have stronger growth. Flowering may occur with good nutrition and brighter light, provided the floating leaves are allowed to form. These can easily cover the surface, shading the lower plants. The flowers only open at night (during darkness).

The Nymphaea is a family of freshwater aquatic flowering plants commonly called "Water Lilies" and found in tropical and temperate regions throughout the world. There are eight genera with some 70 species; all are rooted in the substrate with leaves and flowers that float on the surface. The family was described by the British botanist Richard Anthony Salisbury (1761-1829). The name comes from the Greek for a "nymph" who was a goddess associated with waterfalls and springs. In spite of the common name, this family is not closely related to the true lilies, Liliaceae; the common name "lily" is applied to many variable plants.

The genus Nymphaea was established by Carl Linnaeus (1707-1758), the Swedish botanist, physician and zoologist whose monumental classification of all living organisms led directly to the binomial nomenclature system used today. There are about 50 species in the genus which is closely related to the Nuphar, another genus with aquarium species. Both are commonly referred to as "lotus" and in both the leaf is deeply notched at the base. The Nymphaea have a tuberous rhizome, though it is often absent in aquarium plants.

Nymphaea lotus was described in 1753 by Linnaeus. The species epithet is a Greek plant name. This species is widespread in tropical Africa and Madagascar, and was introduced to Europe. It is also now found wild in parts of North, Central and South America. Some sources also consider it native to SE Asia, but this is actually a distinct genus [Kasselmann, 2003]. This is a polymorphic species, meaning that there are external differences between some of the various geographical populations; further study may or may not determine distinct species.

References:

Kasselmann, Christel (2003), Aquarium Plants, English translation, Krieger Publishing company.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

5. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for the info and I will get a good picture of it in the substrate. it now has 9 leaves 8 have grown to the surface of the waterline and more just keep coming . How long should I let them stay before I clip them off or should I let them continue to grow until they are spent ? I removed some of the Apo's and replanted them in my 30 gallon and they are still growing and flowering . Do you think the Apo's need to be trimmed back or just let them continue to grow? PlEASE help me because I think a planted tank is just more healthy for the fish and they look so much better . I wish there was some kind of true aquatic plant that I could try in my JD's tank . ( any suggestions will be appreciated and if I can find something that you think would work I'll give it a try .) What do you think? Anything possible for the JD's ? Maybe some type of floater , what do you recommend? Ohh the reason I removed some of the Apo's was to give the others some room to grow . was that a good thing to do ?

0 Not allowed!
    Eek - why has Byron been banned?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Eek - why has Byron been banned?

Byron was banned. It is not a mistake.

He was given a warning about his conduct on the forum and chose to respond inappropriately to a moderator.

Please keep the thread on topic.
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 11-18-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do I let the leaves keep growing until they begin to lose their color and then prune them back or just let them grow until the plant goes dormant? I hate to even mess with it at all right now , it is growing so well . I'm trying to get a good pic downloaded now . Thanks for your time .