· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Things really are falling into place! Today I found someone local who was downsizing his tank to make room for a bunch of cichlid babies his female just gave birth to. So he was looking to rehome five bronze cory and six neon tetra for free. When I went to pick them up, I happened to notice a bucket almost overflowing with water sprite and java moss. When I commented that I'd been on the prowl for some and he said I could help myself. I didn't go too crazy but I got a big clump of the water sprite for both of my tanks and a tiny bit of the moss for my big tank. Right now I'm a happy zombie. Tonight I'll be ordering the liquid test kit, thank you for telling me what to look for guys.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    too cool. no one around me has fish or plants so I'm in a no fish zone. Great find for your tank.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    And don't rely on the monitor tabs. That can be dangerous.
    Why can these be dangerous? Personally, I feel that if you test frequent enough they are not needed but I have never heard them to be dangerous. Did you have a bad experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by zombieaddict View Post
    Right now I'm a happy zombie.
    You should be a happy zombie, that's a nice haul! Your betta will definitely appreciate the overhead cover, and I hope the company.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Why can these be dangerous? Personally, I feel that if you test frequent enough they are not needed but I have never heard them to be dangerous. Did you have a bad experience with them?
    I didn't state that very well. What I meant to say was relying on them alone and not testing can be dangerous. I've read stories where they simply didn't work and people had not been testing, thinking that their water was safe when in fact their fish started dying. I 'assume' they may be like the test strips and can malfunction or not function at all as they get older - sort of like me :o)

Bottom line, I wouldn't trust them. I'd rely on my water test kit instead. That's what I meant to say.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with fishmommie. I have the Seachem ammonia alert in my tank, but still test with my API kit. The pH alert did not register the correct pH of my tank, so I would be wary of that one. The ammonia alert registers correctly. It's supposed to be good for 1 year, but I will replace mine a bit earlier.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    You should be a happy zombie, that's a nice haul! Your betta will definitely appreciate the overhead cover, and I hope the company.
    He doesn't seem to be displeased with them so far. But the neons are currently cowaring in a nook at the base of the big branch. The cory fish keep to the bottom for the most part but once in a while one or two of them beeline to the top of the tank for a few seconds before zipping back down to the bottom. They like the little rock hide a lot.

Also, I saw something called a floating betta log when I was browsing decor on Amazon. It was super pricy though, so I thought "Surely I could come up with something similar". Lo and behold, I was able to steal awkward pink vines from an ugly plant arrangement that had been denied previous access to my tank. On their own and made into little loops, they're actually kind of cute now but Beastie isn't paying too much attention to them yet. He also still doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. Is that normal or should his appetite have picked back up right away after moving into a warmer tank? Shall I make ready the pea?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    His appetite might pick up after he gets settled in to his new home. It sounds like he's got a lovely home to live in.
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along...
    IBC member

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Beastie doesn't seem to be doing too hot. Last night I noticed him swim down to the bottom of the tank where he laid down by the gravel for five minutes or so before going back up to his corner. Just now I noticed him up by the front of the tank. He has his mouth up at the surface but his body is just sort of hanging there limply, blowing bubbles now and then. He still has very little appetite and I'm starting to think that he might not last much longer but he has moved into the bunch of water sprite that I added and seems to like hiding in there. Is it okay for me to continue doing water changes with him in this seemingly fragile state or would it cause too much stress on him? I also have some old ick medicine but I don't know how that stuff ages and whether it's safe or even appropriate to use in this instance but if there's any little tips or tricks that I could try, I'd like to try to pull Beastie through this trying time if it's possible.

And this may be unrelated, but I found one of the cory dead this morning. It was one of the bigger ones and it was just laying in the bottom of the tank. It almost looked like it had a little gash under its belly but I didn't investigate too closely because the dogs were demanding to go out. The cory have been darting up to the surface now and then so I don't know if maybe one of my cats decided to take a swipe at one or not. They love watching the fish but I've never noticed them trying to catch the fish. Blah.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    If he does not have ich then don't medicate for it. It is usually a good sign when a betta blows bubbles. Have you tried some outside stimulus like a bright object placed next to his tank? It could be the little guy is just old, they don't live long with good care, even less time when they come from the cups. Ammonia is much more stressful on the betta than a water change and as long as the tank is cycling with fish, water changes need to be done.

I didn't see the cory so this is just a guess, but it does sound more like an injury than an illness. Maybe something in the tank is sharper than you realize?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is on my desk, so there's lots of stuff outside of his tank. Just last night he had a very colorful array of folded washclothes to admire and a rainbow pile of folded socks the night before that.

Unfortunately, Beastie is currently MIA. I suppose he might be tucked up somewhere in one of the nooks and crannies of his decor. He managed to disappear once in his 2.5 gallon so if he can do it there, I guess it wouldn't be too hard in a 20 gallon. If that's the case I don't want to disturb him and I guess he'll come out on his own time. But more and more I suspect that a certain whiskered mastermind might be behind the disappearance. That would be a very sad end to this betta adventure so hopefully he comes out of hiding soon. I did a 25% water change, now I just have to wait for the liquid test kit to show up in the mail.