· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wow. You moved fast! Way to go. I'm sure he's very happy. Just watch your water parameters for a few weeks. One betta won't create much ammonia but you want to make sure it stays around .25pppm (same for the nitrites) while the tank settles in. Eventually both will read 0 and you'll want to make sure to keep the nitrates around 10ppm.

Bettas get bored easily so make sure he's got plenty of things to explore in his tank. Someone here on the AC once suggested to put something brightly colored in front of the tank from time to time - like a Pringles can or something = so I do that often. He can spend the entire day nosing around trying to figure out what it is.
    you might want to add a banana plant to the tank. they're fun to watch grow and sometimes shoot out lily pads. My crown tail loves to snuggle into the banana bunch as I have it semi-planted. He often sleeps there - or in the crepts or in his log LOL. They're fun fish..
    Hope he does well. He's got a good mom :o
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Undead but still fast as a ninja! I had been on the prowl for a bigger tank for a few days now and things just managed to fall into place after I posted this topic.

And I think I read a similar suggestion somewhere on here, so I've been putting toy dinos in front of the tank. He wasn't responding to them much in the cold water but maybe now that he's in a warmer tank, he'll have a better response. But with so much new space to explore, I think it might be a while before he starts feeling bored.

Are there any tank mates that male bettas get along with? I wouldn't add anything else until I've cycled the tank and added some more plant coverage but something else swimming around with him would probably cut down on the boredom, wouldn't it?

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    It's hit or miss with betta, some will accept tank mates and some will not. It is certainly worth a try, but be prepared to remove either the betta or the new fish if he decides he doesn't want tank mates. I had glowlight tetra with my betta and they got along quite well. In a 20g many of the smaller tetra will work and a school of the smaller cory species would go well. Just stay away from fish with long fins, for some reason many betta take offense to them and no other anabantids should be put in the tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ++ to Mommy1. My crown tail has been co-existing with neons for well over a year now and I feel very fortunate but you just never know.
    If you're going to try some new fish, I'd do it soon while he's still relatively young and they can grow up together.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ha, I guess Freud would say that the male bettas have a bit of envy going on when it comes to long fins.

Thanks so much for all your help guys! Now I just have to ponder over whether I want to add anything else and if so what. Would waiting until I've cycled the tank still be soon enough to let the betta grow up with the others or should I add whatever I might decide to add as soon as possible?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieaddict View Post
    Ha, I guess Freud would say that the male bettas have a bit of envy going on when it comes to long fins.

Thanks so much for all your help guys! Now I just have to ponder over whether I want to add anything else and if so what. Would waiting until I've cycled the tank still be soon enough to let the betta grow up with the others or should I add whatever I might decide to add as soon as possible?
    With a single betta in that tank, I don't think it would hurt at all to get 6 neons (cardinal tetras would be even better because they get larger) or what other small tetra you want since you're cycling anyway. Just keep a close eye on the ammonia and nitrites and keep them around .25ppm with water changes until the cycle is complete.

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieaddict View Post
    The Betta, who I've decided to dub Blue Beastie, seems quite pleased with this goliath new tank. I imagine it's a bit of disorienting to find himself in such a big space so suddenly but he's putting around checking everything out so I take that as a sign that he likes it.
    This post put a BIG smile on my face!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    This post put a BIG smile on my face!
    Yay! I'm glad to hear it. Beastie is definitely getting accustomed to his new home. His tank is now a comfortable 81F and he's a lot more active. I even managed to get a video clip!
    http://s45.photobucket.com/user/stra...85ebd.mp4.html

Also, I got some hand-me-down fish stuff from a friend today. They gave me these neat pH and amonia monitoring tabs(seen in the betta video), strips to test ammonia, a container of 6-in-1 strip that tests nitrates, nitrites, hardness, chlorine, alkalinity, and pH, stress coat(is this just water conditioner with a fancy title?), stress zyme, bacterial suppliment, and a bottle of Prime that says it removes chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia, detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, and provides a slime coat. I don't want to just dump chemicals into the tank willy nilly, so all I've done so far is add the pH/ammonia alert tabs until I have a better understanding of how to use the stuff properly. I read somewhere that the liquid tests are better than the dip tests, so I'd love to hear thoughts on that.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    The test strips are fine at first but once they are opened, but as soon as they are opened they start to deteriorate quickly. Liquid tests are much more accurate. Of the rest of the stuff your friend gave you the only one worth using is the Prime.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    agree with Mommy1. Get an API liquid test kit asap. Don't rely on the strips - especially if they have been around for a while.
    Prime is the only water conditioner I use. good stuff and because it's so concentrated it's economical as well. You don't need any of the other stuff.
    And don't rely on the monitor tabs. That can be dangerous. Rely on your test kit.

Nice video. the big guy looks happy.