· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    If that heater is in good working condition there is no reason you shouldn't use it. Any floating plant would help.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
    Hello and welcome to the world of betta keeping. A 2.5 gallon is a good size tank for your betta but bigger is always better. Since you don't have a heater it may be that he's cold. Is he eating at all? What have you been feeding him? Pellets? Flakes?If he looks bloated then he may be constipated.
    Just for the record - although a 2.5 gal tank IS bigger than the cups bettas come in, please remember that the cups are just temporary until the fish is sold - it's not appropriate though - bettas are not small fish and they enjoy space to swim in - most people on this forum would recommend no smaller than a 5gal tank for a betta...as a matter of fact, a 2.5 gal tank is not recommended to house ANY fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wasn't sure what the standard recommendation was for this forum and I pm 'd a moderator about it. I certainly don't want to recommend the wrong size. I keep my own bettas in 2.5 gallons.
    I know a lot of IBC breeders who keep fish in one gallon jars and beanie containers.
    Last edited by dramaqueen; 11-04-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along...
    IBC member

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, no need to pm a moderator about it. It is generally recommended here to put a betta in a minimum of 5 gallons. I'm sure no offense was meant, we don't usually recommend fish in 2.5 gallons, even 5 gallons is iffy except for a betta.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I was able to use some gravel from my mother's stable, healthy tank and mixed it with what I'd already had in the tiny tank. I filled it with water pre-treated with water conditioner and I have the filter and heater running as I type. I'm thinking that I should probably wait an hour or so until the heater brings the water temperature up but other than that, is there anything that I should do before unleashing the blue beastie upon his new kingdom? Thanks so much for all your assistance up to now, guys! You've been a great aid in setting up this guy's happy home.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you have everything under control. Give him some decorations and plants to help him feel secure and I think he will appreciate his new home.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know no offense was meant. I just want to recommend the right thing.
    Zombieaddict, I'm sure your betta will enjoy his new home. It sounds great.
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along...
    IBC member

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess breeders would have to use something smaller than 5 gallon tanks or they'd have a house over run with aquariums! But I do think that 5+ sounds like a good idea for a person who just owns one or a small number of betta fish.

As far as plants and decorations go, I actually have one large branch decoration that I've anchored some patches of lacey java fern to and another small rock decoration with lots of holes to pop in and out(shown in his previous pictures) of has also been decorated with java fern and added. Along with a lily bulb and a couple of aponogeton bulbs. As mentioned before, water sprite and frogbit are high on the priority list for acquiring. Can hardly wait until I get paid in a few days.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The more plants you can add the better. They will also help during the cycling of the tank. Water sprite is a great plant as it is a fast grower.

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    The Betta, who I've decided to dub Blue Beastie, seems quite pleased with this goliath new tank. I imagine it's a bit of disorienting to find himself in such a big space so suddenly but he's putting around checking everything out so I take that as a sign that he likes it.