· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default New Betta advice

0 Not allowed!
    I always feel so bad for the little betta fish when I go to Petsmart and it's an absolute heartache when I see them in Walmart. Well a friend of mine decided to "liberate" a lovely little blue male crowntail betta from Walmart about a week and a half ago. Since I had a spare 2.5 gallon tank sitting around, I was assigned the role of caretaker. I took a bit of FloraMax from my existing tank and aquarium gems, planted some lacey java fern(and some aquarium plant bulbs), and gave him a rock with a couple of holes to zip in and out.

This is the first time I've ever owned a betta fish(except one I was gifted as a child that my mother had murdered by the next day), so it's been a bit of trial and error. I tried to put a 5-15 gallon filter in the tank but it caused way too much circulation and was clearly stressing the poor guy out, so I took that out. I've been doing a partial change(maybe 30%ish) every couple of days and use water conditioner on the water that I add back in. I've just been adding the water directly since I was told once you add the conditioner you can do that. The tank doesn't have a light so I've been using a desk lamp with a clamp on it to light the tank(and it seems to give off a little bit of heat too). I don't have a heater for the little tank but I'm getting ready to upgrade the betta into a 10 gallon that will have a proper light, filtration, and I'll be buying a little heater for that when I get paid later this week.

But I'm worried about the little guy! I read that happy healthy bettas are suppose to be active but it doesn't seem like he moves around a lot. He hangs out near the surface but shies away into the corners. Sometimes when I lean in to see if he's alright, he'll flutter his fins at me but that seems to be about it usually. He sits by my desk so sometimes I'll see him wander from one spot to another but it's seldom. Also, it could be my imagination but the last day or two his face looks different. Like... bulgy and he kind of seems a little slanted off to one side when he's floating around. I don't see anything on his body that looks like disease but I'm also not an experienced fish keeper so I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for. Is there any advice that you more knowledgeable folks could offer me? He's such a cute little guy, I want to do what I can to treat him properly after his daring escape from Walmart fish abuse and I've been reading a lot of information online but I know there are a lot of misconceptions about what's required for proper betta care out there. So any insight from experienced betta owners would be greatly appreciated.

2. Default

3 Not allowed!
    good for you for giving it the good try. The trouble with bettas is that sometimes they are ill when they arrive at the store and it doesn't show up for a while. Sometimes it's water and living conditions
    The best thing you can do for him right now is large water changes with water conditioner as you have been doing and get him into that 10 gal heated tank (as you have planned) asap.
    Betta need much more than the 2 1/2 gal (as you also know) and they need their water to be around 80 degrees. He may be lethargic because he's too cold or, as I said in the beginning, he may have been ill from the get go.
    Keep up the good work and let us hear how he's doing once you get him into the 10 gal which, hopefully, will be very soon. Fingers crossed for you and him
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome to the world of betta keeping. A 2.5 gallon is a good size tank for your betta but bigger is always better. Since you don't have a heater it may be that he's cold. Is he eating at all? What have you been feeding him? Pellets? Flakes?If he looks bloated then he may be constipated.
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along...
    IBC member

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input guys! I have a potential trade lined up for a 10 gallon later today and a backup for a 20 gallon tomorrow if the first plan falls through. My mother, the betta murderer, keeps trying to convince me to put him in a vase but that's not going to happen. But I figured that the 2.5 was a good temporary upgrade from the half a cup of water they had him living in at the store.

He does seem to nibble a little now and then. I've experimented with TetraBetta pellets, freeze dried brine shrimp, and finely crumbled fish flakes. He seems to like the shrimp the most but I add a pellet or two with it in case he needs more than a seafood diet. I've also caught him nibbling at one of the plant bulbs that insist on floating on the surface a couple of times. I read on another topic about feeding a constipated betta a pea but should it be fresh or can it be canned(I assume not because of the sodium?) and I'm guessing it should be minced up? Should I try to give him something like that?

I moved the desk lamp a little closer to the water's surface today and he seems to be a little bit more active but there's still long periods of him just floating without moving much. I managed to get a couple of pictures of him though!

bettatank3.jpgbettatank4.jpgbettatank5.jpg

5. Default

3 Not allowed!
    pretty crown tail. I think t hat just keep doing what you're doing, keeping the water clean until you can get him a heater and and upgraded tank.
    frozen peas work. you can put it in thawed. but I wouldn't worry to much just yet about that.
    I'm still thinking heat is the main issue here.
    It's good you're so concerned.
    When you move him to the 10 gal, remember you'll have to cycle the tank. see the links in my signature line. during that time, there will be lots of water changes. if you don't have an API test kit (master, liquid) I'd get one soon. You need to make certain the ammonia and nitrites don't get much above .25 ppm while you're cycling. water changes will keep those numbers down.
    keep asking questions if you have them.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I just know that too many people misunderstand and mistreat the betta fish without intending to so. So I figured I would do my part to try and make this little guy happy.

I read both the fishless cycling and cycling with fish articles, thank you for the suggestion. I also recall reading somewhere that using water from a cycled tank partially can aid in the process of starting a new tank's cycle. Is that true and would it be alright to do that and then cycle with the betta in the bigger tank?
    Last edited by zombieaddict; 11-03-2013 at 07:15 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is very little if any beneficial bacteria in tank water. You can use gravel from an established tank as long as the tank is healthy.
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along...
    IBC member

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zombieaddict View Post
    I just know that too many people misunderstand and mistreat the betta fish without intending to so. So I figured I would do my part to try and make this little guy happy.

I read both the fishless cycling and cycling with fish articles, thank you for the suggestion. I also recall reading somewhere that using water from a cycled tank partially can aid in the process of starting a new tank's cycle. Is that true and would it be alright to do that and then cycle with the betta in the bigger tank?
    Dramaqueen is right. There is no beneficial bacteria in tank water. It will not aid in cycling the tank. That's why you can do such large water changes and it won't affect the cycle. Beneficial bacteria live primarily in your filter media (the floss, biomax, sponge, etc) some BB lives in the mulm in the substrate. Ultimately, though, you want to rely on the filter media to house the largest %'d of the BB. The most common way to do that is to let the fish live in the tank, produce ammonia which will transition to nitrites and finally to nitrates and you keep this all under control by monitoring with your API liquid water test kit and water changes. If you have a friend, however, who has an established tank, perhaps they would have some fully colonized filter media they could part with and you could use it to seed your filter. you want to make certain, however, that this media is coming from a healthy tank because it will bring whatever problems the tank might have with it.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Bettas don't like high light and the light you are using might be stressing him. Can you put some floating plants in the tank?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I plan to add some water sprite to his tank once I get paid and have some extra cash unless there's a plant that you guys know of that bettas would prefer.

Now for an update! The person with the 10 gallon didn't get back with me but I was able to get the 20 gallon tall tank tonight instead. It also dawned on me that I have a spare 120volt 60Hz 75watt Ebo-Jager aquarium heater stored with my extra equipment. I hadn't thought of it before because I knew it would be way too much for a 2.5 gallon but would something like that work in the 20 gallon tank? I'm excited to get this set up and rolling for him!