· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Sajica cichlid and glowlight tetras?

0 Not allowed!
    Would it work? Or do you think the sajicacichlid will eat the tetras? The tank is 100 gallon.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Any carnivorous or omnivorous fish will eat other fish if they can. Since the Sajica will get up to 5" and the glowlights stay tiny I would think the glowlights would become snacks.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh okey :/. I think sajicas have pretty small mouths but maybe they still are big enough to eat some tetras... But ok, I will have keyhole cichlids and bolivian rams instead :)

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with mommy1. I have not myself kept this fish, but according to the info on the cichlid site, when kept with other fish they need to be robust and hardy in nature, though not large enough to eat this cichlid. I think that rules out most small fish like tetra.

Your alternatives are better. Some info on the Keyhole from my profile of the species, Cleithracara maronii:
    Origin and Habitat: Rio Orinoco basin (Venezuela) eastward through Suriname, Guyana and as far as the Rio Ouanary in French Guyana; possibly Trinidad. This species is not abundant, occurring in small populations within this geographical area. It is found in slow-moving, shallow coastal forest streams that are often stained brown from the tannins of decaying wood. The population reported from Trinidad has not been encountered since 1965 according to Kullander.

Compatibility/Temperament: Very peaceful except when spawning. This is a very shy and retiring species, easily frightened [see additional discussion under Description] and should not be combined with other more aggressive cichlids. Peaceful characins, rasbora, and substrate fish are ideal as "dither fish" to lessen this species' natural shyness. In larger tanks, it may be combined with discus, angelfish and some of the dwarf cichlids.

Description: An ideal cichlid for a community aquarium of non-aggressive fishes. Kept on its own, it will likely be very shy and retiring, and prone to stress. The presence of other fish (termed dither fish) will keep it more settled and relaxed. This is certainly not a fish for a barren tank, in which it will be highly stressed.

The aquarium should have a dark substrate, with some flat stones and several chunks of bogwood, and floating plants to shade the light that should not be bright. This would replicate its natural habit, but additional plants will also be suitable especially as they will provide more cover. Keeping in mind its natural habitat, the flow from the filter must be minimal, something that will also suit most forest fish that make good tankmates. Cichlids other than discus, angelfish and the South American dwarf species should not be kept with this species to avoid stress.

When this fish is frightened or endangered, it will fix itself against a log and change its colouration and patterning in an attempt to blend in with the background. This camouflage is very useful to the fish in the wild.

On the Bolivian (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus), this fish is best either singly (one fish of the species) or as a bonded pair. You could do a small group in a 100g tank, though with the other fish I probably would not. I have a lone male in my 5-fgoot 115g and he owns the tank; there are no other cichlids though, so he is quite docile, but he still is head fish and the others know it.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 11-03-2013 at 04:57 PM.