· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    sheamurai does have a point. While it is likely the best method, I don't think it is fair to say that nobody should keep fish if they cannot directly kill it should the need arise.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually - I've read articles suggesting that freezing is not the best method. I'm assuming by "best" you mean "most humane"?

Ok - I'll amend my statement. You shouldn't keep fish if you do not have a humane method to hand (be it your own hand or someone elses) to responsibly kill a fish that is suffering beyond help.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

1 Not allowed!
    I have euthanized fish using various methods depending on their size. While some may prefer slow gradual methods, I prefer to be quick about it.

Small fish, I net out and quickly throw against a concrete wall. I have a very good arm. Instantaneous death.

Medium size fish, I net out and place on a chopping block, taking the head off with a quick stroke of my machete or cleaver. Instantaneous death.

Large fish, I use the iki jime method. I send a sharp spike directly into its brain. Instantaneous death.

I understand that some may be too squeamish for these methods, but its up to them whether or not they are okay with the fish suffering to preserve their own comfort. These methods may seem brutal but they are very very effective. And in the end, the fish suffer far less.

Personally, I never really view my fish as pets. Not in the way I see my dogs. When a fish dies, I feel regret but not pain.
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 11-03-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I use the same above method.

+1 to Kingfisher's post. You must dispose of any sick fish properly
    Might wanna read the article and reconsider the freezing method: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=5621

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the link talldutchie

It not exactly the same thing as what sheamurai had posted. But none the less, you need to be informed about the pros and cons of which ever method anyone chooses. I can only recommend what has worked well for me in the past. Not exactly scientific study, just first hand experience.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm...working well for the owner isn't necessarily the same as working well for the fish though? Surely welfare should be paramount.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have had success with clove oil. If the time comes that I need to do such again, I would use this method.

Awards Showcase

otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 
    TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about &quot;trolls&quot; first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA 
    Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 
    Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    Freezing water? Who does that?

I net the fish out into a dish of tank water...and put that into the freezer...slow chill down...

I've seen people try to give a coup de grace to all kinds of animals, and its awful if you aren't confident at it. Squeamish people end up not quite getting it right the first time, and end up causing the very pain they are trying to avoid. Thump is the best only if you are sure you will do it right the first time.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Might wanna read the article and reconsider the freezing method: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=5621
    I read the entire article and I am still not convinced that a quick chill down to unconciousness is any worse than some of the other methods described; is it the best?...perhaps not...what do I mean by "best"...I guess the quickest and most pain-free...not all of us have the clove oil or anesthetics described in the article in the cupboard, but I'd be willing to bet most have a freezer nearby

As mentioned, simply smashing with a hammer, or a needle to the brain as described in the article, may SCIENTIFICALLY be less uncomfortable, but practicallity will prevail for me if and when the time comes

Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Hmmm...working well for the owner isn't necessarily the same as working well for the fish though? Surely welfare should be paramount.
    The welfare of ALL my fish is of utmost importance until one becomes deathly injured or ill...then the welfare of the REST of my fish takes precedent
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    By "working well" I wasn't referring to that it was working well for me. Why would want to put down a fish to meet my needs ? I will only put down a fish to end suffering after treatment will not work. When I say working well I am basing this on my observations of the fish passing in a minute or less with no signs of excessive stress. Yes there are other ways and we can debate those, but don't think for minute I base what I do on what is best for me. I may not have stated that clearly before.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Isn't there a humane way to euthanize that doesn't involve smashing the fish to smithereens or chopping it up?
    Wondrous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun and joy to everyone that rides along...
    IBC member