· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Stocking a 42UK Gallon Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I'm thinking of setting up an aquarium at the community I'm living at which will be around 191L. It will have a 20L internal filter attached to it (so basically 171L) for the fish.

I'm thinking of adding loads of filter media, and maybe some java moss balls at the top of the filter too (which will be hidden)

With regards to plants the idea is to stock it using: Java Fern, Anubias, Vallisneria and Amazon Swords - all low light plants and a bit slow. Will not use CO2.

My set up (although Aqadvisor.com says its a bit over stocked) is planned as so:

4 x Angelfish
    2 x Dwarf Gourami
    6 x Congo Tetras (Depends on price - never saw them in Malta)
    8 x Serpae Tetras
    6 x White Cloud Minnows
    1 x Swordtail M
    2 x Swordtail F
    1 x Platy M
    2 x Platy F
    1 x Sailfin Molly M
    2 x Sailfin Molly F
    3 x Siamese Algae Eaters
    6 x Panda Cories

In all fairness I'm not seeing it as overstocked, although the Congo's and Serpae might be a bit over present in the community.

Any ideas what I can look at? The fish need to be hardy and can't much rely on cleaning and water changes - could be the guys at the community in years to come will not be willing to spend time on the aquarium.

2 Not allowed!
    4 angels will not work in a tank that size, 2 dwarf gouramis may not work in a tank that size unless they are a male and a female. I would not put serpaes in with angels, they are too nippy. The angels would most likely eat the white cloud mnnows, and also the white clouds like lower temperatures. 3 siamese algae eaters would not work in that size tank , they get aggressive as they get older. When I has serpaes they also nipped at my cories. That's all I can think of off the top of my head a the moment.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancho View Post
    Hi,
    Any ideas what I can look at? The fish need to be hardy and can't much rely on cleaning and water changes - could be the guys at the community in years to come will not be willing to spend time on the aquarium.
    Along with the advice given above - seriously - you are looking for fish that are hardy enough to not need regular water changes or maintenance? None exist - if someone is not willing to do basic things like that (water changes, cleaning the tank/filter), it's not a good idea to set the tank up at all.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

2 Not allowed!
    I applaud your desire to set up a tank. However, you are looking at a "tragedy of the commons" situation. Everyone likes a nice-looking tank, but they all require a certain minimum amount of work and most people will not want to do it. Particularly if you are the only one with any interest in doing it now. If you think folks won't be dedicated to the tank in the future, I agree it's best not to set it up. It's unethical to set up a tank full of fish if you can't assure them of proper care down the road.

+1 on the White Cloud / angelfish comment. I have one tank with White Clouds and angels, no problem, I have another tank with angelfish and no White Clouds (I put white clouds in there once upon a time and they became fish food...)

4 Not allowed!
    Hi,

4 x Angelfish
    2 x Dwarf Gourami
    6 x Congo Tetras (Depends on price - never saw them in Malta)
    8 x Serpae Tetras
    6 x White Cloud Minnows
    1 x Swordtail M
    2 x Swordtail F
    1 x Platy M
    2 x Platy F
    1 x Sailfin Molly M
    2 x Sailfin Molly F
    3 x Siamese Algae Eaters
    6 x Panda Cories

In all fairness I'm not seeing it as overstocked, although the Congo's and Serpae might be a bit over present in the community.

In all fairness, if you're not willing to spend time on an aquarium then don't do one!! And certainly not an overstocked one!

It's either gourami or angels. And 4 angels can easily go very wrong in a few months. Also dump the congos, stick with serpae and possibly a school of cardinals. White clouds in very hot Malta is not a good idea.

Stick with 1 pair of livebarers. Lose the siamese and replace with a single ancistrus.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I went to a fish show and saw this set up which I really liked:

5 x Tiger Barb
    4 x Albino Tiger Barb
    4 x Green Tiger Barb
    5 x Rosy Barb M
    5 x Red Lined Torpedo Barb
    1 x Red Tail Black Shark
    1 x Bristlenose Pleco
    3 x Bronze Cory
    3 x Peppered Cory

In the community tank I saw also a shoal of Harlequin Rasboras. I guess it's not recommended to put these fish with Barbs right?

Is this better?

With regards to cleaning, I have the first 7 years sorted so I'm sure in the next 7 years another one to replace me will come up! :) So it shouldn't be a big problem

1 Not allowed!
    Your tank isn't big enough to keep torpedo barbs. They grow large and require pristine, fast flowing water.
    I wouldn't keep a shark in a tank your size. It's just not big enough.

Don't mix harleys with tiger barbs - they will lose the battle. Tiger barbs should, ideally, be kept in a species only tank - or at least in a tank in which no other fish inhabits the same level that they do.

What do you mean 7 years of cleaning?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in agreement with all that's been posted by other members so far, and on both suggested stockings. I don't see the need to detail the issues more, so won't, but if you ask I will as I believe we all have to learn about this and this forum is a great way to learn.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    With regards to cleaning, I have the first 7 years sorted so I'm sure in the next 7 years another one to replace me will come up! :) So it shouldn't be a big problem
    I assume this means that either you will be taking care of the tank for the next 7 years or you have people lined up who are willing to take responsibiity for it?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    I assume this means that either you will be taking care of the tank for the next 7 years or you have people lined up who are willing to take responsibiity for it?
    correct :)

thanks all for the replies :) taking note