· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I agree on the water, that is very soft, and well suited to soft water fish such as those talldutchie mentioned. Avoid the hard water fish like all livebearers, rift lake cichlids, and a few others.

On the fish, considering the tank size, I would be careful with cichlids and gourami. There are some lovely smaller species, but many of the widely-available (at least in NA) get a bit large and as the males of all of these are territorial, care is needed. The groups of shoaling fish like pencilfish, tetra, corys, hatchetfish, small rasbora species and such will be ideal in this tank. I have a 29g which is probably much the same in size/dimensions. Aside from the smaller and rarer gourami and cichlids, I would stay with the shoaling fish. In a planted tank these are beautiful, and being small you can have more fish for interest.

I also concur with waiting for the otos; these fish frequently do not survive if added to a new tank that has not developed a biofilm on plant leaves where common algae can live.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will one of the below species work as centerpiece fish that will be combined with some kind of tetra school? (note that I can only get young fish at my LFS, so I cannot get stable pairs of them, not even sure I can get distinct X males + y females as the salesperson cannot distinguish between the two sexes):
    Ramirez cichlids (Papiliochromis ramirezi),
    Altispinosa Butterfly, Bolivia (Papiliochromis altispinosa)
    Common Krib, Dwarf Rainbow (Pelvicachromis pulcher)

As for the tetra school i`m thinking Silvertip tetra, Rasbora espei or Lemon tetra.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by arathemis View Post
    Will one of the below species work as centerpiece fish that will be combined with some kind of tetra school? (note that I can only get young fish at my LFS, so I cannot get stable pairs of them, not even sure I can get distinct X males + y females as the salesperson cannot distinguish between the two sexes):

As for the tetra school i`m thinking Silvertip tetra, Rasbora espei or Lemon tetra.
    Cichlids first. The two rams (which by the way are now resolved to be Mikrogeophagus ramirezi and Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) would work, sort of. A bonded pair of either would be OK [if you ask, I will explain "bonded" pair]. Or a single Bolivian (M. altispinosus) as this fish is very good as just one. But more than one in this tank, if not bonded, would not be good. Males are territorial, and a male of either species would easily consider the entire tank space of a 27g as "his." My Bolivian Ram male owns his tank, and it is a 5-foot 115g community with just the one cichlid, and the other fish defer to him always. The kribs I have not kept myself, but I have read several times that they are feisty when spawning, and given their size, I would not have this species in a 27g.

To the tetra and rasbora. The Silvertip, Hasemania nana, might be less desirable, depending upon other fish. Here is an excerpt from a profile I wrote:
    Compatibility/Temperament: Peaceful; suitable companion to livelier characins, danios, small catfish and loaches in acidic water setups, or livebearers in basic water tanks. Prefers a light current from the filter, so other fish in the tank should have a similar need.

The filter current might interfere with the cichlids, both of which like quiet water, and rasbora too. There are many other characins suited to quiet water.

The rasbora is a nice fish. I am more drawn to the related species, Trigonostigma hengeli, as the copper "axe" is quite brilliant in a shady planted tank. I have had both species separately and together. Nice fish. A group of no less than 9 of whichever species, as these always do better with more. Mid-water fish.

Lemon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis) is fine. Another quiet fish, a group of 8-9 is best.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl 
    New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger 
    Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!

Lemon tetras are always a nice "contrast" fish and kept in your soft water their "lemon color would realy show up.

Another tetra to consider with you water that would realy stand out would be the Rummy nose tetra.

One last suggestion would be a group of 15 Cardinal tetra's, they would realy appriciate your water conditions.

I'm not a big fan of Silvertip tetra's but they are one of the most hardy of the characins.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I don`t really like neons. They are too common for my taste :).

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do Dwarf cichlids dig into the substrate? (the ones i mentioned in earlier posts)

0 Not allowed!
    Do Dwarf cichlids dig into the substrate? (the ones i mentioned in earlier posts)
    In a way, yes, but not in the vigorous manner of the larger species which is probably what you are referring to. Thinking here of the two ram species, they will sometimes make a shallow depression to lay eggs (they are substrate spawners, and often use flat rocks or wood). As with all cichlids, they eat from the substrate so they regularly take up a mouthful of sand and spit it out, having removed any food.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Then I guess they are off limits to me, as I have JBL Aquabasis substrate under the main substrate which is the light wieght Jbl Manado.
    I can`t risk having the Aquabasis into the water.

What other options do I have for centerpiece species? Preferably something that can live in a group of 2-3 members, not solo fish like for example 1 angelfish.

Thanks for your help so far...you are really helping me narrowing down the list.

0 Not allowed!
    Then I guess they are off limits to me, as I have JBL Aquabasis substrate under the main substrate which is the light wieght Jbl Manado.
    I can`t risk having the Aquabasis into the water.

What other options do I have for centerpiece species? Preferably something that can live in a group of 2-3 members, not solo fish like for example 1 angelfish.

Thanks for your help so far...you are really helping me narrowing down the list.
    Substrate fish are a major issue with soil or similar enriched substrates; even with a 1 inch cap of sand some fish will still get through. One reason I avoid these substrates, since I have substrate fish in every tank.

So, to suitable fish in your 27g/102 liter tank with very soft water. Thinking along lines similar to smallish cichlids, there are some gourami that will work. Not the large species in Trichopodus (the pearl, blue, etc), and I would avoid the Trichogaster species (dwarf, etc) too as that can be trouble. But the rarer species like the chocolate Sphaerichthys osphromenoides perhaps. I have kept this and the closely related species Sphaerichthys selatanensis together in a 29g with good results, and several spawnings. They are highly sensitive and need stable and very soft water, so once your tank is established (with the plants and other fish) adding a group of one of these would be one option. Their chocolate-brown colouration means they stand out as centrepiece fish.

Finding "centrepiece" fish for small tanks is not easy. One needs quiet fish, one that is fine without a group, and won't eat smaller fish since these are what fill up the smaller tanks so well. I don't really have centrepiece fish, never have in 25 years, as I prefer lots of fish interacting naturally which means smaller sized fish usually. My Bolivian male in the 115g isn't really "centrepiece" in so large a space. My Congo Tetra would work, but not in anything under 3 feet in length, and 4 feet is better.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks byron. I`ll look into it.