· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Platy - Ich?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, do not give up, it takes time. It is certain that some protozoan will get through our defenses, be it heat or whatever, so you have to be persistent.

It is now believed likely that ich is always present in most of our tanks, as it is in natural waters. There is really no other explanation for a sudden outbreak in established tanks that have had no new additions for over a year. Stress causes it, plain and simple. If the fish are healthy, they fight it off. When weakened by stress, they are more likely to succumb. It is most prevalent with new fish due to the extreme stress caused to fish being shipped, dumped in a store tank with probably less than ideal conditions, then chased around with a net, bagged, and carried home, then another new environment. Hence, we QT so it is easier to control and eradicate.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkatsariotis View Post
    Another question,

Can I use the conditioner between water changes or only when I change water?

Thank you,

Dimitris
    unless you're having ammonia issues there's really no reason to use water conditioner anytime other than at a water change. The purpose of the conditioner is to remove chlorine and chlorimanes from tap water. Both will kill your fish.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted:severum, EBJD, congos, royal pleco
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    unless you're having ammonia issues there's really no reason to use water conditioner anytime other than at a water change. The purpose of the conditioner is to remove chlorine and chlorimanes from tap water. Both will kill your fish.
    Agree. In fact, water conditioner mis-used can harm fish too. I missed this question earlier...was there a reason for asking? Conditioner is not a medication or a fix for anything; it simply removes harmful contaminants from tap water so it is safe to use with fish.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Agree. In fact, water conditioner mis-used can harm fish too. I missed this question earlier...was there a reason for asking? Conditioner is not a medication or a fix for anything; it simply removes harmful contaminants from tap water so it is safe to use with fish.
    I asked because the tapwater in my area is not good. Too much metals, chlorine and ammonia.We dont even drink it. I will receive the liquid water tests today or tommorow so i can have more accurate results and i will post them here.
    Dimitris

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

Today I lost 2 more Platies. Inly one has left and I don't think it will make it through the Weekend. I used liquid tests to check my water. Here are the results after changing 50% of the water and used only the conditioner:

- PH: 8,0
    - KH: 15o dKH
    - GH: >21o dGH
    - ΝΗ3/NH4: 0 / 0
    - ΝΟ2: < 0,3
    - ΝΟ3: 70
    - Cl2: 0,8
    - Temp: 30 degrees celcius

The parasite seems to have stopped infecting the rest of the fish. Last spots appeard on one of the Plecos two days ago and the didn't multiply.
    How can I reduce the NO3?

6. Default

4 Not allowed!
    Again, sorry about the platies but I feared they might be too far gone when you started the heat treatment.
    Your n03 is way too high. It should be around 10 so more water changes are in order. Especially for your pleco and any other bottom dwellers. toxins settle toward the bottom of the tank and will affect those fish the worst. So you need to do a couple of back to back BIG W/Cs. Like 60% today and another 60% tomorrow. then the next day check your N03 and hopefully it will be down to 10ppm
    Again, good luck and keep up the good fight. You're going to get on top of this.

Also, N02 should be 0 so I'm not sure what's up with that. Are you trying to say it.s between .25 and .50? Either way, it's a puzzle with such high nitrates.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails

0 Not allowed!
    Again, sorry about the platies but I feared they might be too far gone when you started the heat treatment.
    Your n03 is way too high. It should be around 10 so more water changes are in order. Especially for your pleco and any other bottom dwellers. toxins settle toward the bottom of the tank and will affect those fish the worst. So you need to do a couple of back to back BIG W/Cs. Like 60% today and another 60% tomorrow. then the next day check your N03 and hopefully it will be down to 10ppm
    Again, good luck and keep up the good fight. You're going to get on top of this.

Also, N02 should be 0 so I'm not sure what's up with that. Are you trying to say it.s between .25 and .50? Either way, it's a puzzle with such high nitrates.

Thanks for your help my friend.

I will keep the w/cs to lower the NO3. As for the NO2, the liquid water tests from TETRA have the minimum value as "< 0.3" in their chart. The colour in the test tube wasn't even at this value's colour, so i think it could be 0.

Thank you.
    Dimitris

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

The Pleco with the white spots died today. The last of the Platies has no spots but it seems so weak. Will it help if i feed it with some vitamins?
    Dimitris

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    You are having some very bad luck. So - what's left are the 4 angels 1 platy and 1 pleco?
    All you can do is keep the heat up until the spots are gone (which they should be soon if not all ready) the keep that heat at 86F for 7 more days. In your case, since it's such a deadly case, I'd keep then heat up for an additional 10 days instead of 7 days.
    Forgive me for asking - but for certain, you aren't using any medication or salt, right? Medication and heat can be very deadly and salt can potentially kill an already weakened pleco. so I'm just double checking.

Also - I don't know if you've ever said but how long has this tank been set up?
    Also what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings just for the record.

0 Not allowed!
    You are having some very bad luck. So - what's left are the 4 angels 1 platy and 1 pleco?
    All you can do is keep the heat up until the spots are gone (which they should be soon if not all ready) the keep that heat at 86F for 7 more days. In your case, since it's such a deadly case, I'd keep then heat up for an additional 10 days instead of 7 days.
    Forgive me for asking - but for certain, you aren't using any medication or salt, right? Medication and heat can be very deadly and salt can potentially kill an already weakened pleco. so I'm just double checking.

Also - I don't know if you've ever said but how long has this tank been set up?
    Also what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings just for the record.
    Hi,
    Yes only one Platy, 4 Angels and one Pleco left.
    No chemicals, salt or medicines are being used. Only the conditioner during the w/cs.
    The tank is 3 months old.
    Here are the water tests 2 days ago.

- PH: 8,0
    - KH: 15o dKH
    - GH: >21o dGH
    - ΝΗ3/NH4: 0 / 0
    - ΝΟ2: < 0,3
    - ΝΟ3: 70
    - Cl2: 0,8
    - Temp: 30 degrees celcius

I will post new after todays w/c.

Thank you.