· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
    Regarding the pH pens/meters. Get a liquid test kit (API makes a good, comprehensive test kit) instead. If you also want the pens as a quick BU, make sure you have plenty of reference solution to recalibrate your pH meter before each use! The pens/meters lose calibration like you would not believe, even the expensive ones we use in chemistry labs.

Also -with a child potentially around the house, you may want to consider securing the stand to the wall in some way to reduce any tipping danger. Not likely, but the taller the stand, the more risk it can be pulled over accidentally.
    Thanks for the advise. Yes the stand is getting a safety chain on each corner at the top as well as me having a chat with the little one as to acceptable behavior (this one will be right up there with never touch my gun...)

0 Not allowed!
    Even with regular calibrating a pen for PH still makes sense IMO. TDS pens need far less calibrating since it's a much simpler process.

Speaking of safety. If you do get the rays also instate a rule that there will be no unsupervised feeding. Ever!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Speaking of safety. If you do get the rays also instate a rule that there will be no unsupervised feeding. Ever!
    That is a very good rule! I may even look into making the tank lockable once the façade is on there (hopefully long before ray's come into the picture.)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Waters in... I'm waiting on it to warm up before doing to much more (may have to go with a bigger heater.) I'm hoping some of the bacteria survived from when the tank was taken down a couple weeks ago, the gravel was still wet in the buckets so maybe it will help my cycle. Going out today to look at my water tester stuff.

4 Not allowed!
    As stated above, rays need a lot of floor space to thrive. That means a rather large footprint for a ray tank.
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 11-02-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

2 Not allowed!
    Don't bother Aeon!

1 Not allowed!
    I am afraid that SRD (sudden ray death) is very real and very prevalent, even in tanks with ideal conditions. Best of luck to him.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok well update time. I'm sure you guys will be happy to hear that I have decided that I am holding off on rays for this tank. I am planning a huge salt water tank in my basement that I think I will do a predator tank and get rays then.
    Anyway back to this tank, well I am extremely pleased that my cycle only took a couple days due to, 1 bacteria still being alive on the gravel and 2 I threw a little filter media in the tank from my 10gal. So I am happy to announce that the tank has its first 2 inhabitants (well as of Tuesday actually,) A 4" Black Shark and a blue Mystery Snail that upgraded out of the 10 gal. They are both doing great other than I'm slowly trying to change them to be awake in the evening instead of overnight (the 10 gal is in a bathroom with no windows (so no daylight) and we used it as a nightlight for my gfs daughter so the lights were on overnight.)
    Well don't mind the extreme sparseness of the tank, I built the shark a little cave with some rocks I had, I'm working on my décor.

If you look close you can see the shark at the far end of the tank and the snail just to the left of the blue plant above the red rock...

I'm hoping to get my QT tank this weekend as well as driving down to the fs and maybe getting a couple more fishes. I'm hoping to get the décor done in the next week or so and don't really want to put many fish in without it.
    Last edited by audioscience10; 11-07-2013 at 01:38 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright well it may not look like much but here is the start of my rock work.

I started with an A/B expanding foam which I'll shape a little more naturally and drill a few decent sized holes to make caves. I'll use pvc inserts as the inside of the caves then coat the whole structure with quikret before aquarium safe paint and epoxy to seal it up...

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting... I've never seen that done before, will look forward to seeing it progress