· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default RTS in a 20 gallon?

2 Not allowed!
    Hi, I am new to the forum have a question. Can I keep an RTS with 3 to 5 tiger barbs in a 20 gallon?

4 Not allowed!
    Neither species will fit in a 20 gallon long term. The red tail shark will reach 5, possibly 6 inches, and the tiger barbs will reach at least 2,5 inches in captivity. Both also are very active and aggressive to other tankmates, the tiger barb especially so when kept in low numbers. Your planned stock (with the addition of several more barbs) could work in a 55 gallon though.

1 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above post - don't forget that tiger barbs, while small and cute in the LFS, will eventually grow. What I've seen recommended here repeatedly is to make a dedicated tiger barb tank due to their aggressive nature (or to keep them with other aggressive fish in a group) - but for the group size needed and eventual size of the fish themselves, 20gal really isn't sufficient.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I concur with others. The Red Tailed Shark is not a community fish in the accepted meaning of the term. It needs at minimum a 4-foot tank to grow into, and it can become nasty with some other fish, especially substrate fish. It frequently takes a dislike to vertically striped fish too, though I've no idea why.

The Tigers need at least 8 in the group but 12 would be better, and in no less than a 30g tank. On their own; if other fish are to be included, a larger tank would be needed.

Byhron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gal with a RTS and 8 tiger barbs. They get along the only time the RTS chases them is when they go into his cave. Other then that its all cool in the tank. In a smaller tank I think they would be fighting do to not have their own space in the tank.