· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default slightly softening water? (safely)

0 Not allowed!
    would it be safe to slowly start adding RO or distilled water to my tank to soften it (40 gal tank)
    my tap water tds is around 213 average and ph is generally around 7.4-7.8 (8.4 highest recorded in the last 3 years)
    I was wondering If there is a way to soften the water safely w.o chemicals
    my idea was to mix 2 gallons of distilled or RO water with 8 gallons of tap (more or less, w.e works) for every weekly water change , this way the parameters wouldn't be jumping every time I changed water right ? would this be safe?

another way I was told is to remove 1 gallon of tank water a day and replace it with 1 gal of pure water until my tank is at the parameters i want. The thing is I dont know How i would maintain the parameters when weekly wc comes around.

any thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    Are there fish in the tank now? Or are you just planning ahead?

The only way to effectively and safely lower water parameters like GH and KH is by diluting with "pure" water like RO. It is proportional; half tap water and half pure will result in half the GH, so it would lower from 213ppm (= 12 dGH) to 106ppm (6 dGH) which would be fine for dwarf cichlids from South America. A similar mix at water changes should work, though I have never had to do this, and there are some other factors.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks man
    yes there are fish, so I would want to do this a bit slower
    so my plan was to do both ideas, mix distilled with tap water, test it, then test the aquairum . Dilute the aquarium by removing 1 gallon of water and replace it with 1 gallon of distilled water, do this once ever two days or once a day,w.e is safest so the fish can slowly adjust until the water in the aquarium is the same or close to the parameters of the 'half tap haf distilled water' mix, so that way from there I could just add half distilled and half tap water with every water change to keep the parameters steady

would that be a good plan?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh and btw that was 213 tds. You said GH, not sure if this is important but my average gh in the tap is about 125, 270 being the highest

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    thanks man
    yes there are fish, so I would want to do this a bit slower
    so my plan was to do both ideas, mix distilled with tap water, test it, then test the aquairum . Dilute the aquarium by removing 1 gallon of water and replace it with 1 gallon of distilled water, do this once ever two days or once a day,w.e is safest so the fish can slowly adjust until the water in the aquarium is the same or close to the parameters of the 'half tap haf distilled water' mix, so that way from there I could just add half distilled and half tap water with every water change to keep the parameters steady

would that be a good plan?
    I will assume the fish are soft water fish? Adjusting the water by softening it will not be as traumatic on soft water fish as it will on hard water fish. But you are correct that it needs to be done slowly. Aside from the GH, there are TDS (total dissolved solids) and these can cause shock. Plus the pH will likely change.

If only changing 1-2 gallons at a time, I would do it every day, testing GH and pH after each change (wait about an hour before testing).

What fish species are in the tank?

Byron
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yea they are, they are ember tetras and a gold ram, britlenose pleco which i was told can be in both soft and hard though Idk for sure, and I was hoping to get one or two cory catfish if they can handle soft water

and when you say the ph will likely change do you mean rapidly? like fluctuation? or are you just referring to it lowering when I add pure water

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    yea they are, they are ember tetras and a gold ram, britlenose pleco which i was told can be in both soft and hard though Idk for sure, and I was hoping to get one or two cory catfish if they can handle soft water

and when you say the ph will likely change do you mean rapidly? like fluctuation? or are you just referring to it lowering when I add pure water
    It is impossible to accurately predict what the pH will do. This depends upon the KH which we don't know. By diluting the water with RO water, the GH and pH will lower, and the KH will obviously be reduced. Doing a gallon or two at a time a day apart and only to half is not going to cause any significant rapid changes in any of this.

Those fish will certainly appreciate the effort, and that is always nice to know. And all corys are soft water fish. A few species do extend into slightly basic water (pH just above 7) but the GH is still soft.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada