· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Rescued Fish!

1. Default Rescued Fish!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    My aunt's heater and back up heater broke and she said she wasn't getting more - so i agreed to take her 4 fish as my neon tetras had died and i only had 1 gold tetra left. 1 is a long tetra with horizontal stripes, 1 black molly and 2 algae eaters. So in total i have 5 fish

i was looking to buy 5 gold tetras only to school this one, however as no-where near me sells them i was holding off. Unfortunately, because of my aunts tank i won't be able to buy anything new.

My question is, is my tank overloaded with what's in it?? I have a fluval U1 filter, an air stone, fluval heater and the tank holds 40-42 litres and is cycled.

any advice on next steps would help? Also - i've never had algae eaters, they sit at the bottom then occassionally swim to the top and quickly swim back down - are they gasping for air??? or is this normal behaviour? the molly kinda sits mid tank.

thanks
    Last edited by Duffer; 10-30-2013 at 09:21 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    For those of us who think better in Imperial measure, 40 liters is a 10g tank. Just so we all know. So you have, in total, a molly, a tetra (species not known), 2 algae eaters, and 1 gold tetra.

There really is not sufficient space to expand the tetra into groups, without removing some fish, so this is a situation where I would leave them alone until they have lived their lives. Unless you can give them to someone or a store of course.

Having said that, the "algae eaters"...any idea what these are? There is the Chinese Algae Eater which will get 5-6 inches and can become a real mean fish. There are otos which remain small and are peaceful. There is the Siamese Algae Eater that also gets 6 inches, and can be temperamental. Otos will surface for air, not sure about the others.

Do you have a test kit to test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? And pH?

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    thanks for replying. i wouldnt look to add any now, just wanted to know if i was overloaded at the moment. I have no idea what type of algae eater they are.... my aunt told me thats what they were. They are kinda plump fat fish at the front, with a camouflage type pattern on its body.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
    Hi,
    thanks for replying. i wouldnt look to add any now, just wanted to know if i was overloaded at the moment. I have no idea what type of algae eater they are.... my aunt told me thats what they were. They are kinda plump fat fish at the front, with a camouflage type pattern on its body.
    Here are some photos, they are named. First is the Chinese AE (which is what I'm thinking yours are), second the oto.

chinese-algae-eater-1346291433-800.jpgOtocinclus vestitus1.jpg
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ill try to take a picture on my phone and post it, one second

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    photo.jpg

that's one

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    photo.jpg

that's one
    That looks like a peppered cory. Do they both look like this? If so, they need about 4 more friends of the same type.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    That looks like a peppered cory. Do they both look like this? If so, they need about 4 more friends of the same type.
    yes they are both like this - unfortunately i only have a small tank and i really don't think i should put more fish in as i think this would overload it?

1 Not allowed!
    yes they are both like this - unfortunately i only have a small tank and i really don't think i should put more fish in as i think this would overload it?
    Gronlaura is correct, that is a cory, and Corydoras paleatus (the Peppered Cory) is the one. They need a group, I would get another three to have five in total. This will not affect your tank at all, quite the opposite, because this fish must have a group to be less stressed, and less stress means healthier, which means less likely to have other problems.

These fish go to the surface for air regularly, so no issue there, unless it becomes very frequent. And they do not eat algae, nor "left-overs." You have to provide good quality sinking foods for them. I am currently using Omega One shrimp pellets, Omega One veggie rounds, and Nutrafin tablets. Prepared foods are the basic. You might then try blanched veggies, though not all corys will go for these.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    The peppered cories are very hardy and active. You will really see their true personality if you have a school of 6 of them.

Any possibility of upgrading to a 20 gallon long tank? It's a 30 inch wide tank and would give your fish twice the space and a much bigger footprint. If that's too wide, a 20 gallon high (24 inches wide) would also be a good upgrade.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"