· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Red root floaters should work well. If you want some, let me know, I'll give them to you for the cost of shipping (disclaimer: some duckweed's mixed in). The RRF have the advantage that they don't seem to go through the periodic die-backs I have with my Frogbit.

I do like the way my frogbit roots hang down though, neat aesthetic effect in a deep tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Never seen a red root floater so I don't know.

You could add some of that sand, do wash it though. Spread over the top and let nature do the mixing.
    Agree, but before adding this, siphon out a bit of the white. This is easy to do with just the hose part of a manual water changer, or you could use any piece of hose having a diameter of 1/2 inch or so. I have deliberately siphoned out sand and fine gravel like this, to reduce the depth or add it elsewhere. Doesn't make much of a mess as all the detritus comes out with the sand into the pail and you can rinse it clean. Then add the new sand (and that in the bag is nice). Eventually they will mix as talldutchie says, but the less white left in the tank, the more the mix will be darker.

And I too have no idea what "red floaters" refers to. Frogbit is nice, but I prefer Water Sprite. I have both, and I also have Water Lettuce which is very similar to Frogbit in roots. The Water Sprite has much better root systems that fish love to browse.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

3 Not allowed!
    Wow, I am surprised a couple plant guys like you don't know what red root floaters are.

And some information, http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ails.php?id=45

Red root floaters should grow nicely in your tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the link. I generally know plants that are available locally (and I have never seen this), or those mentioned by others on a forum, and this thread is to my recollection the only one that has mentioned this species. So now I've once again learned something from the forum.

From the description in the link, and having searched this species in Kasselmann, I gather it is not the easiest plant. Strong light is needed, which would rule it out for me from day one. And if an open tank is necessary, as both sources suggest, I would have fish on the carpet.

If I see this locally, I might try it just for experiment. Thinking aesthetically, something red at the surface might be distracting.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Like most floating plants it is actually not difficult, here is some practical experience from the planted tank. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php?do=view&p=16&n=Red_Root_Floater_Phyll anthus_fluitans

Last edited by mommy1; 11-01-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I can't edit my post for some reason but I do want to add that aesthetically it is one of the most stunning aquarium plants I have seen.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
    Red root floaters should work well. If you want some, let me know, I'll give them to you for the cost of shipping (disclaimer: some duckweed's mixed in). The RRF have the advantage that they don't seem to go through the periodic die-backs I have with my Frogbit.

I do like the way my frogbit roots hang down though, neat aesthetic effect in a deep tank.
    thanks man! I'll definitely take that offer, Ill pm soon and dw about any other plants accidentally mixing in
    stowaways are the best part about trading with other hobbyists ^_^

0 Not allowed!
    My pleasure to share, we'll just need to watch the shipping weather as winter arrives. My RRF's roots are not "red" as I've had my RRF growing in pretty low light. Byron, they don't seem to require high light, but do seem to need high light for really red roots. Anyone else wants some, I'm always willing to share, and enjoy trading plants!

I just moved a RRF batch to a high-light CO2 tank, the roots are getting red, and I already need to thin out the floaters in the tank. My 40B is absolutely covered.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    how long are the roots? (generally)

0 Not allowed!
    talking about red root floaters? they certainly don't get as long as frogbit. a couple inches max under really good lighting I suppose.
    mine are kept at approx. 2.5 watts per gallon and the roots are about 1/2 inches long.