· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My first Cichlid!

0 Not allowed!
    I got my first Cichlid today. I got a small 3/4 inch female (I hope) convict. It's totally cute. When feeding tonight it was out chasing the food with my tiger barbs. I can't wait to see it grow up. I think I'll name her Lizzie after Lizzie Borden.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Love the fact that Lizzie (who is smaller than my barbs) is stealing food from their mouths. Now, she's chasing them away from the substrate so she can eat the remaining food herself. And, here I was worries about Lizzie not getting enough food.

0 Not allowed!
    that is one feisty fish. I've only ever kept shy wimpy dwarf cichlids, and that behavior sounds amazing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lizzie is a right terror. When the food hits the top of the tank, she's up there with the barbs fighting for it. Then once the food has sunk, she defends the bottom of the tank from all the barbs who are swimming down to clean up the rest of the food she swims patrols and chases off all interlopers. All of them, Lizzie and the Barbs, are horrible beggars. I can't walk by the tank without them begging for food. I'm so excited to finally have a fun tank!! It's been some trial and error over the past few years. I wish someone had clued me in to these fish a long time ago. They are so fun to watch. My other tank is going to be a peaceful community tank, but if I ever have a die-off, I think I might just have to have two semi-aggressive tanks. I love the tigers as well as Lizzie.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Convicts are like the pound for pound champs in fighting they might not be as big as some others iirc they max out around 6'' but they have personality. They are also really easy to breed and come in a bunch of color variants like pink and albino; I kept one adult male with my 12'' jack dempsey and 11'' pike cichlid and he held his own in that 75g.

I don't know your tank size or tiger barb size but they will become VERY aggressive when they mature and likely kill your tiger barbs if it's on the small size.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 01-03-2014 at 12:37 AM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.