· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Agree to remove and destroy. I have seem similar (though not the size, mine remained thin and got thinner the longer they hang on), interestingly mainly with this species. I put mine down to possible aging, as the fish were several years old when this occurs.

When I need to destroy a fish, I prefer to do it very quick. Net the fish out into a paper towel folded over, fold it over/around the fish several times, then place it on a table or solid surface and give it a good thump with your hand. Instantaneous.

Many will recommend clove oil, or freezing, as humane. But an article in either PFK or Amazonas a coujple of months back on euthanizing fish said these methods are not that good. Interestingly, my method was one suggested as the quickest.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Many will recommend clove oil, or freezing, as humane. But an article in either PFK or Amazonas a coujple of months back on euthanizing fish said these methods are not that good. Interestingly, my method was one suggested as the quickest.

Byron.
    that is very interesting. I always thought clove oil was the most efficient way...
    do you know where I could find this article? it certainly sounds like an interesting read.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    that is very interesting. I always thought clove oil was the most efficient way...
    do you know where I could find this article? it certainly sounds like an interesting read.
    I'm fairly certain it was in one of the two magazines mentioned, and probably in late Spring, certainly before July. I read both of these monthly, but in the local book store that carries them. They are rather expensive, and I am on a limited retired income, so I have to be careful...can't let the fishies starve.

PFK is Practical Fishkeeping out of the UK, an excellent monthly magazine, probably the best in English. Amazonas is fairly new but proving to be a good periodical. They have a website and you can subscribe digitally which is less expensive, something I am considering actually.

Tomorrow I will try to pin this down and post if I do manage to.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Thanks to talldutchie who posted the link in another thread and I fortunately saw it, I have the article I mentioned. It was PFK, and it is online:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=5621
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada