· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Compatibility questions

0 Not allowed!
    Just want a final rundown on a stocking for a 55gallon-60gallon tank.

-16-20 Cardinal Tetra
    -6 Panda Cory Cats
    -8 Odessa Barbs
    -1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
    -2 German Blue Rams

Maybe a Peacock eel? I don't know if this would be compatible with the above fish.

How's this look?

0 Not allowed!
    I would forget a peacock eel; you can read about this fish in this forum's fish profile, here:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/mix/peacockeels.php

The only issue I can see concerning the other fish listed is the higher activity level of the Odessa Barb, compared to the slow, sedate rams and cardinals.

No mention is made of your water parameters, but some suggest the barb is better in harder water than the cardinal can tolerate long-term, so you might want to check into that. This fish first appeared near Odessa, Ukraine (hence the common name) in the early 1970's and was assumed to be a hybrid of other barb species. The exact scientific species was unknown until the fish was first discovered in its habitat by Ralf Britz in 2003 and subsequently described and named by Britz and Sven Kullander as Puntius padamya in 2008. The stream at the collection site of Britz registered pH 11, due to the flow over limestone; gravel and mud formed the stream substrate. This extreme is obviously unnecessary in home aquaria, and the fish has been maintained for decades within parameters of moderately soft to hard, and slghtly acidic to basic pH.

The revision considering the Puntius species native to Southern Asia (the Indian subcontinent) by Pethiyagoda et al. (2012) has moved 30 species including this one into the new genus Pethia, so the fish's scientific name is now Pethia padamya. The genus name is the generic vernacular name for small cyprinids in Sinhala. The species epithet padamya is the Burmese word for ruby, given here with reference to the name Ruby Barb used in the ornamental fish trade, and to the bright red colour of the males [source: Fishbase].

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I were to forget the Odessa barbs, what would you suggest as an alternative?

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGarb View Post
    If I were to forget the Odessa barbs, what would you suggest as an alternative?
    What are your water parameters, meaning GH and pH? Lots of options occur to me, but I don't want to suggest something that won't manage. Also, are you looking at shoaling fish, such as barb, rasbora, tetra, etc?

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    What are your water parameters, meaning GH and pH? Lots of options occur to me, but I don't want to suggest something that won't manage. Also, are you looking at shoaling fish, such as barb, rasbora, tetra, etc?

Byron.
    My ph is slightly high about 8. I'm not really sure what my hardness is. I currently have some harlequin rasbora and they seem pretty comfortable, so you can probably base it off of them. Although I am looking for schooling fish, I would like some more options than the normal rasbora, like I have currently.

1 Not allowed!
    If your pH is that high I would safely suspect that you had pretty hard water too. Is your water that pH out of the tap? Really - you would do well to consider a rift lake cichlids set-up, although there are other options. Rainbowfish can do well at pH 8. So do mollies.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    That is good advice. To find your GH, check the website of your municipal water authority, it should mention hardness. If you find the site and can't decipher GH, post the link and we can take a look. This is important to know, as GH can affect fish even more than pH.

Byron.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl 
    New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    If your set on the Cardinals I would get them, as long as you slow-acclimate them, they will be fine.

I do agree that you should get a second school other then Oddessa barbs. Perhaps a school of Five banded barbs would work better for you, all the beauty of Tiger barbs without the meaness and size, they are shy as far as barbs go, so they would work better with your Cardinals.

If your waters hard, the fish I would realy worry about would be the Rams more than any others.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    If the cardinal tetra are wild caught, they will not live as long in hard water as they should otherwise; they develop calcium blockage of the kidneys. A life span of perhaps 3-4 years (rather than over 10) does not suggest they adapt to hard water; however, successivbe generations being raised in Europe have managed to do a bit better over time. There was a German study in TFH some years back that documented this; problems for the wild fish began when the GH got up to 4 dGH and increased proportionally thereafter. When the fish died, dissection showed calcium blocking the kidney tubes, and the harder the water, the shorter the lifespan.

Rams are actually different, according to some sources. Wild rams are the same as cardinals and most soft water fish, requiring very soft water to live normal lifespans. But commercially raised fish differ; they should be maintained in similar water parameters to those in which they were raised. This view is held by many, though I have not experimented. I had a spawning pair of rams many years ago, and they did not last more than about a year; but I am now fairly certain it was due more to the temperature than my soft water, since i didn't realize back then that 82F was about as low as you can go with this species, and my tank was 77F.

Byron.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does this mean I would have to reduce my ph? I keep reading that chemicals are dangerous. I've also read that driftwood lowers ph, is this true? I've also read about peat pits. Instead of the Odessa barbs, I'm thinking of lamp eye tetra or bleeding heart tetra. I live in Orlando Florida by the way, if that helps with my tap water hardness.