· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 150Gs....Thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    As some may know I have truly struggled in being able to source any new aquariums since my move. I have ordered many and received none. So I am down to only my 56G Column and 4G Evolve in the new house

The new house also presents the challenge of being much smaller than my old residence with concerns of floor space being at the forefront of my mind I am contemplating shorter tanks. Which means I have looked at both 90G and 120G Aqueons from a LFS about 2 hours away. They have always been very willing to order these tanks but after months of waiting they just never seem to show up. Thus I have started to look at Petsmart since I have one locally and they do offer a 150G Xhigh which I must say I have always admired. It is a Top Fin tank...which had always put me off but I have done research and comes out it is a rebranded Marine-land and actually appears to be a quality build. The tank is 48Lx24Wx30H....I do expect some awesome aquarium sales around Xmas so no better time to plan my fish room tanks than now especially since I have no choice outside of using the big box retailer for my future endeavors. I also know several staff at the store and am assured they always have the 150s in stock.

With this I am planning the following stock...and would like some feedback.

Tank #1
    1xWild Oscar...most likely a Peruvian or Colombian
    1xGreen Terror...F1/F2 Male
    1xRotkeil Severum...F1/F2 Male
    6xRed Hook SDs
    3xPimelodus blochii

Tank #2
    1xSynspilum...Male-no preference on wild or domestic
    1xJack Dempsey...Male-prefer a more blue type fish
    1xSalvini...Male-F1/F2
    4xFiremouths...2pair of Wilds or F1/F2
    1xBlack Convict...Male-no preference on wild or domestic
    1xGibbiceps

Each tank would have an FX5 and 2 AC110s for filtration...pool filter stand, rock and wood for both. No live plants for obvious reasons.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    These fish are outside my experience, so I can't offer any feedback - but just wanted to say how much I am looking forward to new tank threads from you. Always enjoy your builds!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have never liked the XH tanks unless for a smaller community, IMO with Sa/Ca cichlids they use there space unless bullied but another with a set up boundary. I know it really boils down to swimming foot print vs turning around foot print. IF I was you id look for a 150 standard or 180 which is a 6 foot tank with descent turning and swimming room. also I did the 2x fire mouth pairs in my last 125, mean with fry but I am sure you know that, but IMO with the XH tanks I feel you are over stocked in tank size but your filtration is spot on, fx5 and Ac110s my workhorses

0 Not allowed!
    I would much prefer 6ft tanks...unfortunately I cannot source any in my area. Petsmart does not carry a 6fter and the one LFS I have access to does not keep tanks in stock and their ordering of them does not seem to manifest. The largest used tank you will find around here is a 55G and that is rare. I have contemplated ordering acrylic tanks but honestly I can get a full 150G XH setup from Petsmart for less than just the tank online. Not to mention the risks of shipping 2 6ft tanks.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 
    thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly 
    Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 120g that is 48x24x24 and I love the footprint. The problem I have with 6ft tanks is they always seem too narrow to scape nicely. If I could custom build a 6ft tank it would be 24" wide. I have had 4 Texas cichlids (all four are 8ish inches long give or take) living mostly harmoniously in that tank for over 2 years now. The only problem is a few small squabbles after a spawn or if one of the other fish gets too close to the fry. If you stock all the fish at the same time and get them when they are very young it could work, my Texas cichlids were still fry when I bought them, the biggest being less than 1/2 and inch, but you know with cichlids you must have a back up plan.
    My opinions are: for tank 1 is, ditch the SD's and think twice about the blochii. They might be ok or they might irritate that oscar into a killing spree. Tank 2 seems like it would be a bit overstocked for the shorter footprint. My personal preference for this tank is to keep the Synspilum, the Jack Dempsey, the Sal, and the Gibby.
    Last edited by mommy1; 10-27-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks mommy I was hoping you would reply with your experience with a 4x2 foot print. I have learned with my 56G column that fish dont always necessarily require as much length in a tank if it has a much larger width and height than standard tanks....it seems to make up for it a little in a lot of ways. I also agree these boxy tanks are super easy to scape and by placing tall wood in the center of the tank I feel much territory could be created by breaking up the lines of sight. I may opt to scale back on the stock a bit...those are just species I am most interested in seeing in there. I may opt for the SDs for now and see how it goes...I could of course setup an additional tank and move them out if the need arose. I am also concerned about the blochii...always wanted them but I doubt I will try them unless the fixture I choose has moonlights. The O would surely spook at night with their activity, I could also opt for only 1 blochii as they do fine solo. I could also drop the Meekis for a single species of a slightly larger Thoricthys...I am hopeful that the Vieja keeps the peace as it will be so much larger than everyone else.

Thanks much for the feedback, more suggestions are welcomed

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I hope you manage to get your desired tanks! Please keep us updated with lots of pictures !!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    I would re-arrange the stockings a little if they where my tanks.

I would move the green terror to the second tank (due to aggression) and I would move the Synspilum (to friendly for tank 2 in my opinion) and 4xFiremouths to the first tank (I am however on the cusp regarding the firemouths). This would however leave the first tank slightly overstocked. However for someone with your experience that should be managable.

That said. I do think your stocking should work as well but that the fish will be more at home and more harmonic in the changed setups.

Then on a personal note I would never keep any of those species alone. I would reduce the number of species and do pairs but that is my preference.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Even if you cannot get 6ft tanks, can you get 5fts? My 120g cichlid tank is 59x19x25 tall and I feel I can do a lot with the extra foot of space (even if I wish it had a 2ft width instead of just 19in). My friend has a tank with the same footprint as your planned tanks but a few inches shorter and he has had nothing short of problems. He now has a lone Severum and Uaru in it as despite being raised from young together everything else was eventually kicked out of the tank due to aggression -- including a 9in Oscar. While my tank is actually smaller in volume than his I have much more success in keeping multiple cichlids together peacefully. Given, mine has not been running as long as his.

For the stocking, I am NO expert, this being my first cichlid tank, but I gave away my Green Terror as I was concerned there was just too much agro with my oscar -- plus when I asked on here some months ago I was told that this tank would be fully stocked with just my oscar and 1 of my red severums. I could not imagine keeping a GT and O together in my tank, let alone if my tanks was a whole foot shorter. My also agree with William about fewer species and more individuals. I like the idea of the O, a few Rotkeils and the SDs and pims. Although the O + Rotkeils is probably quite similar to your last tank.

I like the stocking list for the CA tank, LOVE the idea of the Synspilum (although I MORE love the idea of a couple of them!). I have been toying with the idea of selling my oscar and adding one of these to my tank. I would probably ditch the Convict and one of the pairs of FMs, any particular reason you wanna do 2? Also, they are a CA cichlid and I cannot recommend them enough -- T-bars. My T-bars are just so stunning and put any convict to shame IMO. Love the idea of the Synspilum, Salvini, JD (my EBJD is one of my favourite fish) and either a pair of FMs or a pair of T-bars, and the Gibbiceps. I am unsure if this is just MY experience but when I had a young FM he competed heavily with my EBJD and I eventually had to remove him -- while everyone else in the tank was happy these 2 fought like cats and dogs, I think because they lived in a similar area of the tank.

So just my 2c, like I said I haven't been in the world of American cichlid-keeping for long. Super jealous btw, and cannot wait to follow these journals. :)

Awards Showcase

Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 
    Merry Christmas - steeler58 Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7 Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Tank #1
    1xWild Oscar...most likely a Peruvian or Colombian
    1xGreen Terror...F1/F2 Male ----> I would go with an Acara/EBJD type instead of a terror personally
    1xRotkeil Severum...F1/F2 Male
    6xRed Hook SDs
    3xPimelodus blochii

Tank #2
    1xSynspilum...Male-no preference on wild or domestic
    1xJack Dempsey...Male-prefer a more blue type fish ----> maybe move the GT here and the Jack to T1?
    1xSalvini...Male-F1/F2
    4xFiremouths...2pair of Wilds or F1/F2
    1xBlack Convict...Male-no preference on wild or domestic
    1xGibbiceps

Each tank would have an FX5 and 2 AC110s for filtration...pool filter stand, rock and wood for both. No live plants for obvious reasons.
    Other than switching the Jack and the Terror I would love to see these tanks.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's