· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    I'm running an eheim classic. Bought it second hand and it was noisy as ****! Spend a few euros on a replacement shaft and bushings kit and suddenly it was silent. It's in a cabinet below the tank and the water coming out of the spraybar half an inch over the surface makes more noise.

One thing to note, the Eheim classic series is sold with and without taps. You really want taps with these. The more fancy eheim models are sold with build in taps and often with media as well. Because the classic series has been around for decades there's usually a good supply of used models. For a tank this size I'd look for a 2215 or a 2236.

Final word of advice, if you do go external, no matter which brand, spend a few $ on a filter hose brush. There's loads on ebay for next to nothing. 2, 3 times a year you pull this trough the hose and you will continue to enjoy good filter performance.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that talldutchie, I had no idea there were brushes for those hose lines...mine has a bit of build-up that you can see in the hoses, I need to invest in some of those brushes
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Thanks for that talldutchie, I had no idea there were brushes for those hose lines...mine has a bit of build-up that you can see in the hoses, I need to invest in some of those brushes
    You can make your own with a basic hose brush and some string trimmer line. Just make sure you buy a brush with a small loop on the end, measure out a piece of string trimmer line 2X the longest piece of hose you'll clean, and then run it through the loop on the end of the cleaning brush. Feed both ends of the rather stiff plastic string trimmer line through your hose piece, pull the brush through and - voila!

Makes a huge difference with any canister's flow-through over time if you can get rid of the build-ups.

1 Not allowed!
    You get FAR more for your money with a cannister filter. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...03&pcatid=3603 Larger capacity and...well...just better, in my opinion.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    You get FAR more for your money with a cannister filter. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...03&pcatid=3603 Larger capacity and...well...just better, in my opinion.
    is that canister filter really only 10$ or is that for just the media?...somethin seems off, the other canister filters were like 50- 300 $

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

2 Not allowed!
    The AC110 is a great HOB filter. For a canister, an Eheim or Rena will do the trick nicely. The SunSun you listed doesn't provide enough filtration. You need 2 times your tank size, so at least 110 gal of filtration. And I agree with the other posts, you get what you pay for.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
    You can make your own with a basic hose brush and some string trimmer line. Just make sure you buy a brush with a small loop on the end, measure out a piece of string trimmer line 2X the longest piece of hose you'll clean, and then run it through the loop on the end of the cleaning brush. Feed both ends of the rather stiff plastic string trimmer line through your hose piece, pull the brush through and - voila!

Makes a huge difference with any canister's flow-through over time if you can get rid of the build-ups.
    Good tip as well. A spool of strimmer line was 70% more expensive than a brush in my case.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    is that canister filter really only 10$ or is that for just the media?...somethin seems off, the other canister filters were like 50- 300 $
    still wondering this x10000
    this filter says it is for sizes up to 2x what the other filters i listed were, yet it is 5x cheaper
    this is really confusing me, is this a trustworthy website?

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    still wondering this x10000
    this filter says it is for sizes up to 2x what the other filters i listed were, yet it is 5x cheaper
    this is really confusing me, is this a trustworthy website?
    The bio media is $10, not the filter.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ohhhhh I see now, 89$
    problem is I got a price range, That is why I listed the other 2
    I think I will go with the sunsun, it says has more gallons per hour than the ehiem 2215 that was recommended, it is cheaper, and it comes with free media. also haven't found one bad review on it, just people who haven't tried it speculating that there could be problems, plenty of good reviews though.
    I probably would have went with an ehiem, just dont have the money for it right now