· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default filter vibration

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 aquatech 20-40 gal filters and they are so loud, they vibrate and rattle, and the motor, even just one of them is pretty loud, I can feel the vibrating when i touch the tank, wondering if this is bad for the fish and if there is a quieter type of filter that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars
    my tank is 55 gal

was looking a this filter http://www.walmart.com/ip/AquaTechPo...-Pets/10291977
    same brand though, I was thinking maybe my filters are just worn down, they are few years old. though I can't remember if they always rattled like this or if they were quiet when new
    Last edited by Ras; 10-27-2013 at 07:10 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    this one is really nice too, anyone know if it is too powerful for my 55 gal tank?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUARIUM-FIS...item45f4b00b6c

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For it’s medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

3 Not allowed!
    A Aquaclear 110 would be my first choice for a Hob filter for a 55 gallon, you can see them here and check out e-bay for a better price.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...10&pcatid=3610
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks
    Im kinda interested in these canister filters now though
    Im not sure which of these would be better
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNSUN-HW-30...p2054897.l4275

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUARIUM-FIS...item45f4b00b6c

same price, dif brands
    if anyone owns or has owned any of these could you tell me which one is quieter? and if you can reuse the media in the one you owned

3 Not allowed!
    I haven't owned either of the two shown - and I wouldn't buy either one of them - but you can certainly reuse/transfer filter media between filters.

Filters should last longer than a couple years - you get what you pay for. There a a few threads here on recommendations and favourites among canister filters.

A good canister is virtually silent. I can't even tell my mine is running without sticking my head under the cabinet to hear it.

1 Not allowed!
    When pricing canisters, make sure the media is included - some don't and that can be costly.
    Eheim classics are reliable, very quiet, and price competitive.

1 Not allowed!
    The only filters I have seen that viberate are those that are pulling in air. Are you sure you have the stems seeded down properly?

I actually have an Autotech that I have had for years with no problem at all. If they are very old, it might just be the impellers need replaced but a larger filter would be well worth your investment.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 10-27-2013 at 04:30 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    I haven't owned either of the two shown - and I wouldn't buy either one of them - but you can certainly reuse/transfer filter media between filters.
    why wouldn't you buy these?
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    Filters should last longer than a couple years - you get what you pay for. There a a few threads here on recommendations and favourites among canister filters.

A good canister is virtually silent. I can't even tell my mine is running without sticking my head under the cabinet to hear it.
    I'm not worried as much about the noise since it doesn't actually touch the tank it shouldn't matter as much to the fish, I dont really care about the noise myself just concerned about the vibration on the tank from HOB filters

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    The only filters I have seen that viberate are those that are pulling in air. Are you sure you have the stems seeded down properly?
    yea I have tried everything, I only manage to get it slightly quieter and it only lasts about an hour then it starts rattling again
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    I actually have an Autotech that I have had for years with no problem at all. If they are very old, it might just be the impellers need replaced but a larger filter would be well worth your investment.
    yea I took them apart last night to check em out, both bars in the impellers are worn down and it makes the impeller vibrate. Anyways I think it'd be well worth the money , seems like a canister filter would pay for itself in reusable media...cuz pads for the power filters get kind of pricey.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use both a hob and a canister on my 55. Specifically a AquaClear 70 and an Rena Filstar XP3 which I think goes under the name of Rena Filstar L or XL now.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the Eheim recommendation, great filter, easy to maintain, and quiet as a mouse.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal