· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default fishless cycle and

0 Not allowed!
    i have setup a ~60 gallon tank and am trying the fish less cycle. i have added ammonium sulphate to ~4ppm. I have used RO water with some added Instant Ocean (this is how we used to prepare water for zebrafish in a lab i used to work in).

I checked the pH of the RO water and it is 5.5. i then found a comment that the nitrite-nitrate bacteria won't develop at this pH although on the articles about cardinal tetras (which is what i eventually want to stock the tank with) this pH would be optimal.

Should i try and adjust the pH (with sodium bicarb), mix the RO water with tap water (and i assume dechlorinate it) or just leave it alone?

0 Not allowed!
    unless you are trying to set-up a marine aquarium, I would suggest to stop adding the salt to your RO water, and use a product like the below to replace the required minerals needed to stabilize a better pH. I also would not worry too much about stabilizing your ph as it will change a little when you are cycling a tank

http://www.joesaquaticworld.co.uk/se...ish-250ml.html

Is there any specific reason for using RO water ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the reason for using RO was according to LFS the tap water here isn't good and since i have unlimited access to it at work, it seemed like a no brainer. The Instant Ocean is only 40-60 mg per liter so i'm pretty sure it is achieving the same goal as the product you linked to.
    Since the 5.5 pH isn't a problem for cycling, and it is stable (i've only just started cycling), i think i'll just stick with what i'm doing.
    thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    A pH of 5.5 will slow down your cycle. A lower pH like this can also limit your stocking option later on down the road

Instant Ocean marine salt will add different elements as well as certain elements at different concentration as compared to a additive intended to establish fresh water stable after being completely stripped by your RO unit. This is why your pH is only 5.5. Once you add the required minerals back to RO water (assuming the water is less than ~5 TDS coming out of the RO unit) your pH should stabilize around 7.0 to 7.2
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From the ingredients of the Seachem replenish i don't see anything that is actually buffering. guess i'll give it a go and see. Once i have cycled, should i let the pH drop back up to 5.5 for the cardinal tetra's then?

How does the lower pH limit the stocking? do you mean different species or density?