· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default clean slate - need centerpiece fish

0 Not allowed!
    Im about to start a new 55 gallon community tank and I'm in the process of planning what fish to put into it. I want to get one or two stunning centerpiece fish and figure out the tank mates around them. Can you guys suggest some beautiful fish for my centerpiece?

2 Not allowed!
    The PH and hardness of your water, along with aquascaping and telling us the types of fish you like will help people to make suggestions.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Vancouver, BC, Canada

Awards Showcase

【ツ】 - korith So glad someone else takes KH seriously! - talldutchie most promising newbie award! - talldutchie Good advice. Stick around! - ~firefly~ A gift for your knowledge of Tetras. - steeler1 
    For your continuing wise words - ~firefly~ Thanks for your detailed and informative post. It is a pleasure having you here. - William A second gift.  Since I saw you just recieved another Sea Horse ;-) - William thanks for helping me with your informative posts - vafa Grats on MOTM to the Tetra King. - Spardas 

1 Not allowed!
    I concur. There is such a variety of options, but narrowing them down to suit your water parameters, plus knowing what you expect in an aquarium, will help. After all, it is you, not us, that has to sit and look at it.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. I will reply when I can give you more info. I have been eyeing blue rams, I want something flashy

Jacksonville, FL

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly Merry Christmas - steeler58 Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7 Figured you needed a little one to go with all those big guys - fishmommie 

4 Not allowed!
    In a 55gallon you have a lot of options. You can do the 2 schools of fish + Angelfish and rams that is well planted and driftwood for a bn pleco or two... Or you could go with a blue acara as a larger centerpiece with a school of congo tetra... Or you could do what Lady Hobbs did and do some Blood Parrot Cichlids... or you could go with a rock scape of all male african peacocks or mbuna....

As you can see... the possabilities are endless...

Also - I might add that if you have not purchased the 55gal yet, I would strongly recommend going 75gal instead... the 55 is only 12in deep where the 75 is a bit more without compramising more length.

1 Not allowed!
    It's not necessary to have a centerpiece fish when big schools of fish make their own statement.

But my 55 has one angel as a "centerpiece" surrounded by lots of smaller fish like cherry barbs and tetra's. It wasn't planned but it was the only place I could keep the angelfish.

Elgin, Illinois USA

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the nomination :) - steeler58 Thanks 4 help - pRED T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly Thanks for sharing your knowledge! - Silbar 
    Happy Easter - fishmommie You stumped me! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 5,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 For your 3 year anniversary - Boundava Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Also - I might add that if you have not purchased the 55gal yet, I would strongly recommend going 75gal instead... the 55 is only 12in deep where the 75 is a bit more without compramising more length.
    I agree with Sandz. The 75 gal gives you a lot more stocking and aquascaping options.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Peacock Gudgeons
    Future 40 Long - Fiery Black Shiners, Panda Garra

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to's about learning to dance in the rain"

Second left after the Haggis Farm

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 

0 Not allowed!
    75G would be awesome, however if you were getting the 55g and you have a pH of 7 or less then there are quite the number of options. One that is rarely seen here but is truly striking is an Altum angelfish. I love those guys.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Have another Cory! - steeler58 Have another Cory! - steeler58 I like shoals. :) - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx 
    Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the angel as a centerpiece and build around that. You can still have the rams with this choice and there are so many stunning options for the angel. Add a large school of rummynoses too.

methuen ma usa

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    A single red belly Piranha.... Lol... On a serious note... Gouramis are nice center piece fish and are good community fish....
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!