· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Keeping a tank while at university

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

I have already knowledge and experiences with fish tank and I know how time consuming and expensive it is.
    However even with those drawbacks, I would like to have a nano ( max of 30L) tank in my room.
    I am currently a university student, and this implies the following :

- I won't be able to take care of the tank during winter and summer vacation. (maximum absence is about 2months, but I may be able to find someone)
    - Limited on the budget ( max of 150$)

My vision is to make a nano planted aquarium like this one : http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0uwnj-0ZxQ...th_Nano_20.jpg

From your experiences, is it a realistic project ?

If so, I will be glad to hear all the recommendations you have to make this happen.
    If not, I will just forget about the idea.

Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't plan on leaving a tank unattended for more than about a week with any kind of happy outcome. While it's possible to find some automatic feeders out there, you certainly can't rely on them for two months and you'll need some water changes worked in there somehow.

Also, most universities do maintenance during summers so the air and electric service may be cut off and/or you may have paint fumes to deal with.

Is it possible? Yes, but you'll just need to make plans to transfer your nano during any break longer than about a week to ten days. Nano's are not too hard to move (if you are driving, not flying). There are lots of tips folks here can provide you, depending on your situation.

0 Not allowed!
    That picture you have is of a high tech, high maintenance tank that likely will not fit your bill. Unless you can find someone to consistently take care of the tank during such breaks, I highly doubt that your plan is realistic. I have two suggestions for you, however. One is a Diana walstad type tank, the other is triops. A Diana walstad tank is basically an ecosystem. A large amount of plants utilize waste from stock which eat the plants and so on. No complex fertilization scheme nor water changes(except maybe at the beginning). Since theoretically no (or very little)feeding or water changes is required a tank like that might make it through vacations if a method is found to eliminate evaporation, such as a tightly sealed canopy. You however will be quite limited (snails, shrimp )in what you can stock the tank with.
    My second suggestion is triops. They are crustaceans shaped roughly like horseshoe crabs but max out at about 3 inches. They inhabit temporary pools in nature, and thus are very short lived. They will however leave behind lots of eggs and to start the cycle anew all that needs to be done is to dry the tank and refill it several weeks later(the eggs will hatch after a period of drying). They are very low maintenance and low budget, and their life cycle presents a solution to your vacation dilemma. When you go for vacation, just drain the tank to a few inches and leave. The water will evaporate, the adult triops die just like in nature when their little pond dries up, and when you come back you just refill the tank and watch the new generation grow up from eggs left behind.